Saturday 23 September 2017

Gay Cats Rock!

Hello, Lovelies! I  can't believe it has been a whole month since I last posted. Lots has been happening though. I have been out and about with some friends from work. We went down to London to see the last day of the the Grayson Perry Exhibition, "The  Most Popular Art Exhibition Ever!" at the Serpentine Gallery.

Sketch from one of Grayson Perry's Notebooks
More about that later. Most excitingly I met  the gorgeous Vix and Jon who were trading at the Classic Car Boot Sale in King's Cross. Such style! I was gutted that it was only a flying visit on my part but I had split off from the rest. I still made it to the gallery before they did though.


Before we all met up, the advance guard were persuaded to go for quick detour to Walthamstow Market. Stupidly, I didn't take any photos while I was there but I did make a pilgrimage to the legendary "Man Outside Sainsbury's" (#TMOS). He had some great fabrics but I went for a wander and ended up not going back to the Tube the same way so never bought anything from his stall. I did buy 3 fabrics though. One from one of the shops on the left (didn't catch the name) and two from The Textile Centre.


The leopard chiffon and the camera fabric are from The Textile Centre. I bought 4 m of each. It wasn't even a tenner. Walthamstow may be my new happy place.


This gorgeous African wax fabric was £6 for 6 yards. There were so many there but funnily enough not too many designs that I liked. I was looking for yellow colours to go with some that my friend brought me back from Senegal but didn't find anything suitable..... this time. :)



I did take a few photos at the Serpentine. Speaking to the people at wok, Grayson Perry is a bit of a "Marmite" artist but I really like him and his work.


Detail from "Animal Spirit". I loved the crows.
He has a very perceptive view of life and a great sense of wry humour. as well as such technical skill in a wide range of media. Look at this ace quilted wall hanging.


I really enjoyed the Exhibition and was taken with the abundant cheeky squirrel population in Hyde Park and the flocks of parakeets. Quite surreal. It was a beautiful day.


Marriage Shrine - A beautiful homage to the Grayson' Perry's wife. I thought that this was so touching.
I have been sewing, ACTUAL sewing and have been spending any free time (haha!) between juggling work with trying to catch up with some creative things. I have bought my own body weight in vintage buttons and crafty stuff. Going to post more on that soon as I have BIG plans to update my work wardrobe with new me-made things. I have a pile cut out and ready to go so watch this space.

So have you got any sewing plans? Been out to any good exhibitions?Or have a favourite artist you would like to share? 

Later,  Lovelies. I am getting back to my sewing while I am on a roll!

Kxx

14 comments:

  1. I'm not sewing much -basically fixing (not my favourite) or altering. I'm glad you are getting some making done.
    And I too love buttons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fixing stuff and alterations are the bane of my life. Why is it always so much harder than making something from scratch? I am glad to be finally sewing things. I have a really heavy workload at the moment but really needed to step away from it for a while. I keep of coffee jars for my buttons and I have 2 huge jars full. I always get some when I see them as buying buttons in the shop can be quite expensive. The old ones are so pretty too. Xx

      Delete
  2. Good for you, Kelly getting back your sewing mojo! I'm the same with my crochet; one blanket with hundreds of tails still waiting to be sewn; 100 hexagons waiting to have tails sewn in and then hexagons stitched together....

    I love Grayson Perry and the photos of his exhibits were brill.

    Fancy meeting Vix and Jon!

    The material was a total bargain...

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veronica. I loved all your crochet, especially the hexagons. They look very stylish and difficult to do. 100 will be quite a lot. I bet that they look fabulous when they are finally sewn together. The exhibition was great. It really made me think as well as being quite witty. We had to wait ages to get in and spend a happy hour people watching. Meeting Vix & Jon was great. Xx

      Delete
  3. Grayson Perry and fabric...eeeekkkk! two of my most favourite things. I'd have been in heaven.
    Walsall Art Gallery had an Alan Measles vase on loan a couple of years ago, I lost count how many times I went and looked at it!
    Walthamstow, you say? I'm wondering if Jon will miss me if I go and have a look when we're trading there in November!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would indeed. The exhibition was not very big but it was well worth queueing for. I have been to a few of his exhibitions. The tapestries from the program on class were very impressive. They were so huge and so detailed. You could look at them for hours and find new things. Walthamstow market would be right up your street. It is full of ethnic shops & stalls with really bright fabrics and it is all as cheap as chips. They had lots of Dashiki tops and dresses in the same fabrics. I may have bought something similar but have not had the guts to wear it yet. I looks a bit like a nightie on me. Hey ho..... :) Xx

      Delete
  4. Grayson Perry is my girl crush. I'd never really known much about him till a friend got tickets to a talk he was doing in Bath, and I thought he was fantastic. I love the way he looks at the world, and his art is brilliant.

    I saw Vix's photo of you with her - that looked like a great day out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mim, he is a bit of mine too. I also love his perspective. He is so observant and witty, sometimes in quite an acerbic way. I always try to make exhibitions of his is I am going to be close by. I was so glad to finally meet Vix & Jon. You really feel like you know someone through reading their blog (well I think). I was gutted that I just had time to say "hi" and then dash off but I had made a bit of a detour on the way to the gallery. We really do have to have a blogger meet-up sometime. It was so fun meeting both Veronica and Vix and would be fab to finally meet you too. Xx

      Delete
  5. This is such a brilliant post! I really enjoyed sharing in your day out, the Grayson Perry exhibition looks amazing. I am a complete philistine and didn't realise how many different mediums he worked in and they all look very engaging. Thanks for introducing me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Josie, me neither! I was really amazed by all the different media in this exhibition alone. I suppose it shows that creativity doesn't have to be constrained to one thing. I have always been very taken with his work. I love his ceramics and the tapestries are amazing works of art. It was nice to see some art forms, traditionally viewed as a bit "home-spun" like his quilts, being honoured. I am looking forward to the next one now. Xx

      Delete
  6. Glad to see your lovely place.
    Thank you for sharing the really AMAZING pics from exhibition.
    Excellent displays!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Baili for the lovely comment. It was a fabulous exhibition. They really were excellent. Xx

      Delete
  7. Hello Kelly, I saw your comment on Vix's blog and had to pay you a visit!
    I love this post, my daughter went to the Grayson Perry exhibition and loved it so it's great to see some pictures of it.
    Sewing and all things crafty are my favourite pursuits too.
    All the best, Sally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sally, thank you so much for leaving a comment. Strangely enough I was just reading your lovely blog last night. I love all the stuff that you create. I used to go collect sea glass at Seaham too and I LOVE your bags. The exhibition was fab. I am enjoying being closer to London so that I can go to all these things now without days off or too much guilt. Crafting keeps me sane. :) Xx

      Delete