Thursday, 6 April 2017

She's Leaving Home

Hello Lovelies, Well you may have wondered about why it has been so quiet for the last couple of months but in daily life there has been a huge amount of upheaval, all of it work related in one way or another.

Why the Po face?

A few weeks ago I was put on notice of redundancy. All things considered this was not a complete shock but it still knocked me off my feet a bit as it was now so real.  To be honest I was really surprised by my reaction. To say that I work in an industry where job security is not the best would be downplaying things more than a little. This was my fourth time being made redundant. 

Vintage Painting from Ruthven Lane, Glasgow and antique bronze Buddha housewarming pressie

Anyway to cut a long story short,  I am not a fan of uncertainty. I don't mind change but I hate not knowing the when, where or how,  so when a great job came up I jumped ship to another company rather than join “Maggie’s Millions” - Theresa style.  However, this did mean moving to another country, although it is England so only next door relatively speaking. I am however a 7 and a half-hour drive away from home. This definitely ain’t Kansas. It's a huge and scary deal for me.  Honestly, I should buy shares in Pickford's (or my own van).

The Backie! A lot of potential but maybe not if I am not here for long.

I have moved into a rented house with one of my of old work colleagues as we have gone to the same place. It is nice to have some company, he is great and the house is big enough to avoid each other but it is a bit weird to be sharing a house again at our advanced ages. Like the middle-aged "Young Ones".

Another housewarming pressies. This makes me feel like Albus Dumbledore.

The house itself came unfurnished and I didn’t bring much, although I did pack my vintage drinks cabinet  above (it's a bit of a fixer-upper but has a tremendous carved front), two vintage sewing machines, a whole heap of patterns and some random fabrics. I went into the Bedford, my nearest town on Saturday for a wander about. I found a chamber pot so it is now sitting in our tiny wee dining room filled with a house-warming cactus that I need to pot on.  I got a few gifts of vintage/antique furniture from my mates and brought some of the stuff that has been sat unloved in my garage for a long time. I found some great stuff but this post will be short as I am uploading everything by phone.

So that is me. I am missing you all and feeling cut off. They don't fit out internet for another 3 weeks! I have commandeered the spare room for a sewing den so watch this space.


Will keep you posted when I unearth more vintage gems from the boxes.

Take care,
K xx





20 comments:

  1. Oh my! We spent several years with my husband going through this on a regular basis (without the required moving house, thankfully), so I have much sympathy. I am so glad you found something new, though sorry you've had to move again. Hopefully you can settle a little now, unpack those machines, and put the new sewing den to good use. Hope the job is cool too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Evie. I hope that things are more settled now.A job for life is definitely a thing of the past these days. I am just sitting at my new sewing desk as I type this. The warm weather is such an inspiration to see. Xx

      Delete
  2. Oh goodness, how stressful! I really admire you for jumping on to the next opportunity as soon as possible, and making it happen! I hope you enjoy the new job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian, I am loving the new job. It is very interesting and dynamic and the company are very much at the industry cutting edge. I was lucky to go there. Being so far away from home is not ideal but it should give me a lot of sewing time. 😁Xx

      Delete
  3. I wondered where you were!
    What a huge upheaval, that's a massive distance to travel.
    I'm glad you were able to find another job and share a house with an old friend. Your bits and pieces are gorgeous, you've got such a great eye.
    Hope everything settles down for you soon. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Vix! It most certainly is. It is very friendly here though and the local biker pub is just at the end of our street so we have found a local already. I have so many vintage bits and bobs that I am not allowed to have at home so I brought them all with me. Still need a lot of stuff but it is a great excuse to hit the chazzas. There are a lot here. Xx

      Delete
  4. Life's never boring with you!! I am loving the vintage flower painting, I have a fondness for them, but don't actually have any, mainly because I have never seen any that screamed at me to bring them home.
    Good on you for taking the initiative and jumping before being pushed. And good luck with the job, but oh, that driving. Not too bad now the finer weather is here, but come winter..... How often do you go home?
    Anyway, lovely to see a new post from you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Edwina. Isn't there an Irish curse about living in "interesting times"? I would settle for less drama any day. I love those vintage flower paintings too. The colours are great in this one and match my vintage velvet curtains in my bedroom. Only planning on going home once or twice a month. Hopefully getting a lot of visitors though. Here is so handy for London. Sprogzilla will be moving down at the end of June so not long. I can't wait. It is very nice down here. Xx

      Delete
    2. I've got vintage velvet curtains in the bedroom too.... we've had them since we married forty years ago nearly, and they are gorgeous, even more so now that theyve acquired that dusty look.... they're a rose colour.

      Delete
    3. They sound fabulous. I love that colour. Mine are at least the same age and are a lovely crimson. Got Chartreuse green ones in the other bedroom I love velvet curtains. Xc

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry that you have had so many changes forced upon you but you facing them full on in your usual positive fashion. Sending lots of love and best wishes as you settle into a new place xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Josie for your kind wishes. Would be a bit crass moaning about my first world problems when there are so many others living in intolerable situations. Try to see every day as a blessing, even though it doesn't always feel like one at the time. Sending love to you and yours. Xx

      Delete
  6. Kelly - I am so glad you have settled in!

    I'm in Ireland at present back on 17th in the evening - please do give me a ring and we'll meet up at some point.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Veronica, hope that you are having a nice time away and that the weather has been as good over there.i will do. I'll try to email you my number. Xx

      Delete
  7. Wow, that's one hell of a move. I admire you for being so proactive.

    I was going to mention Veronica is in your area, but I see you already know that. Hopefully knowing someone in the area will help you settle in a little better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mim. I think that I am settling in okay. The new job is great and I like the house and the town we are staying in. It has a great Salvation Army shop that I have scored fabrics in already. More about that for another post. It is great to be close to a fellow blogger. I have never been able to do a "meet up" before. Maybe now! :) Xx

      Delete
    2. Yes - it's a fab shop. It's where I bought my dress for the Christmas 'do'!
      xxx

      Delete
  8. Life can throw us some curve balls at times. It sounds as if you are handling everything very well. Love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really can, Linda. Thank you for your kind comment. Life is a bit up and down but it is how you handle it, I think. I am trying to look for the positives in everything then it becomes an adventure. 😁 Xx

      Delete
    2. It really can, Linda. Thank you for your kind comment. Life is a bit up and down but it is how you handle it, I think. I am trying to look for the positives in everything then it becomes an adventure. 😁 Xx

      Delete