Sunday, 23 April 2017

A Day at the Chazzas

Good morning , Lovelies! For those of you not in the UK, the "chazza" is a charity, or thrift shop. When I was growing up in the 70's and 80's, charity shops were a place you wouldn't be seen dead in but now shopping there could possibly be classed as a national sport. I have unashamedly stolen appropriated the word "chazza" from the lovely Vix over at Vintage Vixen.  It is just such an apt word,  and for me begs to be expanded into things like "chazzamatazz" (displaying a particularly fancy charity shop outfit) or even "chazz-tastic" (a bloody brilliant, but obviously charity shop, find).
Yesterday for me was a very good day for hunting down some charity shop finds. In fact between the junk shop in Bedford a couple of weeks ago and the local Salvation Army shop I have really managed to score some great bargains over the last couple of weeks. Well, they are bargains to me. One (wo)man's junk and all that.


First up the textile and haberdashery stuff. Check out these fab barkcloth curtains. There might be enough fabric to squeeze myself out a summer dress or skirt. Only question is do I go 50's or Mod?


Continuing with the green theme, look at this lovely ditsy floral yardage. Like many vintage fabrics it's only 36-inches wide and feels like a cotton. It has a very soft, drapey hand now it has been washed.  There is 2 yards of this, probably not enough to squeeze anything out it of it but we will see.  Who could leave this behind?


This lovely table cloth and linen tea towel were only a couple of quid each. I have a bit of a thing for lilacs they are just so old-fashioned and a bit cottage-garden. The colours and the pattern are just lovely. 


The tea towel has a little poem all about  the "Willow Pattern" round the outside. It looks unused with no fading at all and will end up being made into a cushion cover for my bedroom at some point.



Couldn't pass this lot up, 10 vintage metal zips for £3, some needles and buttons for 20p and a bag of wool for a quid. There seems to be a whole load more vintage crap stuff down here. No idea if it is because people here aren't really into it or if it is just the greater population density combined with the lack of a student population where I stay. Anyway, no complaints here, this is chazza-heaven.

I found some great cookware. Look at the gorgeous design, I was so glad to pick these up oven-to-table dishes as I had to leave them behind a couple of weeks ago. I was on foot and couldn't carry them. They must have been meant to come live with me.




Staffordshire made some truly funky designs in the 60's and 70's. These dishes were a bit grubby but are both mint condition and look like they have never been used.  They just needed a good scrub. Now I just have to have a dinner party to show them off. Bring out the vol-au-vents and the black forest gateaux!


This little dish and saucer are Denby. It is next to a lovely wee plate and a glazed terracotta dish that I bought at the same time for the princely sum of £3.50 for all three.


Since I seem to be on the 70's roll  of questionable taste™ at the moment I bought these pottery canisters for the kitchen. They are from the Hornsea pottery, the design is called "Bronte"dated 1978. It makes the kitchen feel a bit "Good Life".


I didn't have anything to keep my teabags in so they are nothing if not practical.

I have actually been tracing out some sewing patterns but I lack the fabric I want to make them up in (no excuse bt it is mostly in Glasgow) and only seem to have a curtain fabric shop close-by.  I am really enjoying having a wee hidey-hole but seriously need some storage. Everything is in bags still. Will get there in the end.

So have you found anything great in the chazzas? Car booty bonanza? Or do you hate the thought of buying anything second-hand?

I am glorying in the fact that I had wifi installed (finally) yesterday so will be able to catch up with all your posts soon.
Have a lovely Sunday!

Kxx

21 comments:

  1. Ooh, what good scores! It's been years since I sound anything good and actually vintage at a thrift shop - here, they are all full of cheap fast fashion clothing! I lurve that bark cloth though - sew it up quick, whichever design you chose! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian. I totally have hit pay dirt round here. Glasgow is full of really cheap, bobbly clothes and is a wasteland for pretty much everything else. I do love bark cloth. I don't know if there will be enough from a whole dress, they are only small curtains but I am definitely going to do something with them. I love the 50's fabric designs but not so much the clothes on me. Xx

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous haul! That ditsy print would make a sleeveless top for sure! Cute with jeans/skirt and a cardi for spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Evie, Thank you. It really was the mother load. I had to go get the car to go and pick it up. :) A sleeveless top would be great but I don't know if there would b enough to go around the boobage. Can always try. Xx

      Delete
  3. Great items! I love those curtains!! And all the china!! Defiinitely a 'chazztastic' haul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, it is indeed. I am super happy with all the stuff that I got. Better not carry on the same way though. I will be running out of room soon. Xx

      Delete
  4. Blimey, you hit the motherload there, Kelly!! Cheers for the shout-out!
    That barkcloth shouts 1960s shift dress to me, it's a stunner. I love the tea towel and that Staffordshire Pottery casserole and I'm a sucker for a bit of Hornsea.
    It sounds like you're living in a town similar to mine, vintage lies in the chazzas for weeks and is often cheaper than the modern stuff.
    Yay! Good to hear that t'internet's up and running! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No probs, Vix. Thank you for "chazza". :) I think that you are right about the dress.I am not too keen on 50's styles for me. I definitely don't need all that floof anywhere about my middle. I have enough of my own. I think that you are right. I have seen the same stuff for 3 weeks in a row, that wouldn't have lasted 3 minutes in Glasgow. I am so happy to have the inter webs back up and running. It is terribly isolating without it. First world problems! :) Xx

      Delete
  5. Love the Hornsea Pottery and the lilac fabric. I too, have a thing about it and have a white one in the garden, behind the summerhouse. It reminds me of schooldays as the play ground was surrounded by lilac trees and we used to be allowed to climb steps (ooh, the danger!) and cut some to put in the classrooms. Such memories it evokes.... great post. Don't go into charity shops but donate all the time, so always nice to see what folks buy. Glad you seem to be settling in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Edwina. Yes, I am getting used to hear now. Lilacs remind me of my childhood too. My Mum has two in her garden although they were much smaller when I was young. You really wouldn't be allowed to climb up these days. I do love a good rummage in a charity shop. I go through books like crazy so they are a good source, plus all the vintage stuff and fabric. Xx

      Delete
  6. Mod. Always go Mod. Actually, with the barkcloth I'd opt for one of those neat little late 50s/early 60s shift dresses that can fit happily into both eras. A simple shape would really show off the fabric.

    (I've just seen that Vix said exactly the same thing. *Spooky* She's got good taste even if I haven't, so perhaps take her advice!)

    I see a bit of that Hornsea about, though rarely such a complete set. That's a splendid collection. My local chazzas are finally delivering the goods, which is excellent as I thought they were going to be tat city forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mim, you have great taste. I love the way that you pull outfits together and all your matching accessories. Very put together. :) I am definitely going to way of the Mod. The shapes are great and I do line the clean, unfussy lines. I haven't seen much Hornsea before but really struck lucky here. Glad to hear that you have been getting better pickings. I loved your jacket. Xx

      Delete
  7. Kelly - you have found some lovelies there! I also love the new lexicon. In fact I'd describe your finds as chazztastic!

    I love the Salvation Army in Rushden; I never leave there without something.

    Do email me when you get a chance.

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veronica! It is such a great lace isn't it. All the staff are so friendly as well. Plus they have sewing patterns and haberdashery. It is indeed "chazztastic". Do you know that I can't seem to find your email or any way to send you a message through Google? I did send you a friend's request on Facebook (not a crazy stalker Kelly) and dropped you a line on Messenger with my mobile number. I am hopeless with technology. Xx

      Delete
  8. Definitely a mod shift dress with the fabric - it's fabulous! You did really well with your textile finds, and the pottery is pretty funky too. Sometimes you hit a purple patch with chazzing, I reckon, and you are duty bound to go with it - it's the Law!
    We get quite a lot of that Hornsea pottery in the shop and it always sells well, it's so cool. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curtise! I agree, it really has to be a Mod dress. I was amazed that the stars aligned and I found so much stuff in the one place and on the one day. The Hornsea is quite cool. I Googled it and there were some amazing 70's designs from the same makers. It is very cool. Hope that life and the shop are being fantastic. Xx

      Delete
  9. I love charity/thrift/second hand stores, garage sales, and auction sales. I've never been to a boot sale but I know what they are (from a British friend who dislikes them intensely). I like the snooping part of it but seldom buy anything anymore unless it is really cool and I can use it. I have far too much stuff as it is.
    I'm waiting to see what the bark cloth becomes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sox. If you like thrifting you would love a good car bootie, as they are affectionately know in Glasgow. There is normally a lot of tat but you can find some absolute gems. I once found a Victorian taffeta skirt and I think that it cost me 50p. It is amazing the variety of things that end up in people's homes. Do they have something similar where you are in Canada? I like the thrill of the chase but know what you mean about too much stuff. :) Xx

      Delete
  10. Ooohh, what an absolutely delicious haul ~ I'm stroking my computer screen as I drool over them all! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanks Josie. I have been so lucky to move into a small town that has a lot of charity shops plus not many people, I think, who are into vintage things. The Sally Army shop is an absolute treasure trove. I haven't been in it yet and come out empty handed. Xx

      Delete
  11. You've got a treasure chest full there! I was just strolling the antique and vintage shops last weekend. There's always unique items to be found! Great score!

    ReplyDelete