Wednesday, 4 January 2017

A Stroll Round The Burrell Collection



One of the great things about living in Glasgow is the staggering amount of free art galleries and museums that are open to the public. One of the nicest and, in my mind completely eclectic, is the Burrell Collection which I had the pleasure of visiting last year (but was yet to blog about). Since the building that houses the collection is now shut for refurbishment until 2020 I thought that I would share some of my photos from my trip. There were some absolute gems of antique textiles there as well as some great stained glass, paintings and sculptures.


William Burrell, a Glaswegian shipping magnate, was a renowned art collector who in 1944 bequeathed a collection of about 8,000 objects to the City of Glasgow. However, it wasn't until 1983 that a purpose built museum was opened on the Pollock Estate in the Southside of the city to house these objects. The building, as it currently stands, only displays about 20% of the collection so is being upgraded and expanded. The collection itself covers every period and medium, from gorgeous tapestries to statues from Ancient Egypt.

Tapestries and Textiles - Forgive the terrible photos. These wee housed under very low light.







I was tempted there by an exhibition of medieval stained glass, which was additional to the normal glass on show. I love the rich colours and the details.



Lovely Lady with Moustache and Sheep

Reminds me of Lord Flashheart for you Blackadder fans out there

Getting Medieval on your A**


And some lovely sculptures.




Anyway, I hope that you enjoyed a little snippet of the collection and apologies for the quality of some of the photos. My cameraphone was ill-equipped to deal with the low lighting required for the more delicate exhibits. I always feel like a wander in a gallery or museum invigorates my creative mojo. 

If you are in Glasgow and fancy some art, a selection of the Collection is on display at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum along with the plans for the building refurbishment. They have the Alphonse Mucha exhibition on there at the moment so it is a very good excuse to pop along. I am off there this weekend!






10 comments:

  1. Two posts in a week! What a treat!
    The Burrell Collection is staggering, I can't believe you took those photos on your phone.
    I love the bird tapestries and the parrot stained glass and the monk flogging the monster is fabulous. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vix, yes I know. It is unusual but I am killing time at home for a couple of days until Mum gets out of the Hospital, then it is back to Edinburgh. My camera phone is surprisingly good. I can heartily recommend the Samsung Galaxy series. I have had the S3, then the S5 and now the S7 which fab for photos (12mp!!) and so handy to be able to just stick in your pocket. You have picked out all my favourites. I can't wait until the place reopens as they will be showing loads more stuff from the collection. Mr Burrell had a very good eye. Xx

      Delete
  2. Wow - you're like a bus, Kelly, none for ages then (almost) two together!

    It sounds like a fabulous collection and when I ever get to Glasgow I'd love to see it. I can't sew for toffee but I love tapestries, embroidered artefacts and quilts and cushions. Loved the stained glass - especially the lady with the tache! Also enjoyed the devil getting his a**e whipped as one does...

    Looking forward to the next post already!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veronica, I will try to keep it from being a "Sunday Service" again. These photos were some of my favourites. I could have honestly broken the internet with the amount of photos that I took of the stained glass. The textile ones didn't come out so well as they are kept in semi-darkness to preserve them so I brightened them a bit. I missed out all the ceramics and the Roman/Egyptian sculpture as there were too many. It is an eclectic and fascinating place. They have a lot of Rodin. Better come up with something good for my next post! Xx

      Delete
  3. Your captions make me laugh!

    I saw the Burrell collection on telly once, and thought it looked amazing. I need to have another word with the husbeast about taking a long weekend in Glasgow - he loves Edinburgh and is convinced Glasgow is going to be awful, but I think it sounds ace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mim, The Burrell is great and I think that it will be much improved when it reopens. Please tell Mr. Robot that there is such a lot to do in Glasgow. It has great shops, lots of very cool bars and eateries, especially in the West End and Finnieston and a whole plethora of museums and art galleries. There are chazzas and junk shops galore and a lot of fun, quirky shops. Apart from that the city has a nice vibe. It isn't the most lovely in places but it is friendly and pretty safe. There is a nice cafe culture here now too (when it is not raining). Plus, it is much cheaper to stay in than Edinburgh and makes a good base for other places like Loch Lomond. It is a very friendly place and comes recommended for a visit. I can show you the "secret" charity shops that are too good for public consumption. :) Xx

      Delete
  4. I loved your captions too! What a great post showcasing such cool exhibits, I had never even heard of it, but the Burrell collection is now officially on my list! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Josie and a very happy New Year to you and your family. It is a nice way to spend an afternoon. We are really spoilt in Glasgow. I suppose because there was a lot of industry, and therefore, wealthy philanthropists here we have a lot of great art collections and museums. Kelvingrove is well worth a visit too, although you could probably spend all day there. All the best for 2017. Xx

      Delete
  5. I just love stained glass, it's another of those things I wish I'd liked earlier in life when I could have done something about it. There is a museum at Ely Cathedral, and I keep meaning to go, another of those intentions never brought to life! Great photos as usual, though not sure about the slug in the previous post, a bit too close-up on an empty stomach!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Edwina, and a very Happy New Year to you! Stained glass is gorgeous. I love the way that it looks different dependent on the light coming through and all the rich colours of the glass. I am sure that it is never too late to give it a go. Would there maybe be a class on at your local college/art school? The museum sounds brilliant and I hope that you make it to there soon. Sorry about the slugs. I know that it is quite a close up and that they are not the most attractive things in the world but I thought that they were quite amusing and I loved the colours. Have never seen them eating apples before but why not as they devour everything else? Hope all is fab. Xx

      Delete