Tuesday, 3 January 2017

(2016) You Taste Like Tear Stains and Could-Have-Beens

Hello Lovelies!  I am just posting up to wish you all the best for 2017!


I am sorry for being M.I.A for a bit. Life here has been a bit hectic, for good and bad reasons and blogging has become a casualty of that. 2016 really was a funny old year, though to quote Jarvis Cocker "Well, I can't see anyone else smiling in here".  I will be very glad to start with a blank page.

I have been reading your posts and commenting in my free moments, which have been few and far between, but have been thinking about how everyone has been getting on a lot.

I really have done very little in the way of sewing, knitting or anything much since my last posts from August (AUGUST!!!!).  We had quite a fruitful harvest in the garden but I left most of it for what I thought were the birds. Oh dear, b@$tard slugs!


There have been a few vintage buys and a couple of gifts like these fabulous curtains that I have coveted from afar for the last decade.


They were up in my brother's Victorian house when he moved in and belonged to the last very elderly lady occupant who had been born in the house. I have no clue about their age. They are such a gorgeous colour and so heavy I am wondering if my modern walls will take the weight of the curtain pole with them on. The photos don't do them justice. I can't wait to get the living room repainted and them up.

Literally the Town Centre. Was very cute

I looked at an old house in Kirriemuir which is commuting distance from my day job. It was lovely but needed a bit more structural work than I was prepared to do and had no garden.  Didn't think that this would bother me until I saw the place. I do like an outside space.


Was worth the trip though as Kirriemuir is a lovely (wee) place and there was a fab statue of Bon Scott, the late great singer of AC/DC who was born there and lived in the town until he was six. Apparently they have a small rock festival there every year called BonnFest.


Kirriemuir is also the birthplace of J.M. Barrie, author of Peter Pan and there is a small statue commemorating this in the town square.Apparently, the town is also famous for its witches. I don't know if I would have believed that until I saw this shop window below. Sprogzilla was totally unimpressed, she thought that the place was like the setting for "Hot Fuzz". Can't imagine why?  So moving plans are on hold for the moment as we will see what this month brings.


I also went to see The Damned for their 40th Anniversary tour at the start of December. They were brilliant but it was mostly full of men of a certain age. Makes me smile to think that Punk is now that old. Obligatory grainy phone pic below. Blaming being at one side of the stage for only getting shots of Dave Vanian.


So apart from that there has been nothing but work.
No resolutions here or promises as it cuts me up too much when I can't get things done.
 Just work hard,  create things that make me happy, laugh loads and (most importantly) spend as much time as possible with the people that I love.

Hope that 2017 brings you all joy and (hopefully) this will be the start of a busy blogging year!

K xx



13 comments:

  1. Is that an actual slug from your garden?!?! Oh my! It's HUGE.
    I agree about a garden (and the amount of work) but the place in Kirriemuir looks like it would be very interesting.
    Like you, I'm going to see what happens with no promises or commitments. I hope you have a great year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sox. Yes, that is one of our garden slugs and not the biggest that we get by a long chalk. They have some monsters here. As I grow everything organically they really limit what I can have as they eat EVERYTHING, almost overnight. Kirriemuir was lovely. The house was just behind the red sandstone one pictured and was old and in the Scottish baronial style. I loved it, it had the cemetery right up next to the windows, but was outvoted. Never mind, hopefully we will find somewhere we all agree on. Not committing to anything might be the way forward. I got so stressed out last year that I think it was making me really depressed. Wishing you and yours all the very best for 2017. Xx

      Delete
  2. That is an adorable house, but good choice not to buy it - when would you have time for major repairs when you are so busy? I hope 2017 brings you some downtime! :) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian. This has been a really hectic year. Commuting and being away from home has not been as easy as I thought. I am missing Sprogzilla too much. House was nice but too much to do. I am really wanting somewhere old though so may just have to put up and shut up for the right place. :) Hope that you have had the best holidays and wishing you and the hubby all the best for 2017. Lang may yer lum reek! Xx

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos! I absolutely love vintage! Thank you so much for sharing, and I really hope that 2017 will be fantastic for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Linda. I love taking photos but tend to just use my phone's camera these days as it is so much more convenient than my very heavy SLR. Hope that 2017 will be better than last year and that it brings you great joy! All the best. Xx

      Delete
  4. You have been busy! Slugs are just the most disgusting things aren't they? Unfortunately, we get them in our living room - I think they come up through the floorboards; I can often see their slimy trail on the mat!!

    The curtain are absolutely gorgeous - where are you planning to hang them?

    Good luck with the house hunting...

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Veronica! Slugs are awful. I used to stay in a house that had them under the floorboards too. One day I woke up with one about 8-inches long right next to my face, as my bed was up against the wall. Older houses! The curtains are great and a bit of a deeper gold than the photo suggests. They are going to go up in my living room but I might have to take them to bits and remake them to fit, plus I have 2 windows. I have 4 huge curtains though so should be tons of fabric. Thank you about the house hunting. Things are a bit up in the air just now but you never know what will come along. :) Xx

      Delete
    2. We have living room slugs too! Bloody things...

      Delete
  5. I usually loathe slugs but your photo is rather beautiful!!
    I adore that house but I think I'd miss not having a garden and much as I love living a short walk from the town centre I'm not sure if I could live in the town centre what with drunk people pissing up the front door (and worse!)
    The curtains are gorgeous, how lovely to have the story behind them.
    Welcome back & happy New Year! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vix, Yes not having a garden was a bit of a killer. Didn't think that people pissing up your front door would be too much of a problem there. We saw literally 2 people there all day, and one of those was the estate agent (plus it was a Saturday). It was a bit quite even for me. Thanks about the curtains. I LOVE them and they are such a gorgeous colour. There is 4 of them so I will be able to make a blind as well. Happy New Year too to you and Jon. Xx

      Delete
  6. Punks only get old on the outside. (Is Dave Vanian still with Patricia - Sisters of Mercy - Morrison? That's an odd, yet oddly appropriate, combo.)

    Those curtains are fab. Good things come to those who wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mim, I agree, to veer off into the New Romantic we tend to "Fade to Grey". :) I think that they are. Ms Morrison was also in one of my favourites, The Gun Club. It is a very appropriate combo with her and DV. I saw her when she was still playing with The Damned, a very lovely and goth-tastic lady. I do love those curtains. They were definitely worth waiting a decade for. :) Xx

      Delete