Monday, 2 May 2016

Blocks of Boredom: Three is the Magic Number

Bloody hell, it's been ages since my last post. I haven't meant to leave it so long but lack of stuff to blog about, plus being a bit down in the dumps, has not really been conducive to producing a flourish of posts, or sewing for that matter. Actually, I am doing myself a disservice. I have been doing a little cutting out of fabric, resulting in a few more "Blocks of Boredom".  Here are blocks 2-4. Only 20 or so to go.




Being a little short in variety and volume I did buy some new fabric from Mandor's in Glasgow and from John Lewis. I am planning to make a quilted throw for my Mum. She doesn't have internet access so I can post this here without her knowledge. I have no idea if she will like it but they are handy to have around the place, especially in a Scottish winter.  At this pace it might be ready for this one coming.


 Mum used to have a Siamese cat that she adored so I couldn't resist the cat fabric.
Each block is 12-inches/30cm/one foot square. To make it sort of double bed  throw sized I think that I will need to make it 6 by 4 blocks big or even 5 by 5 plus sashing. That is a minimum of 24 blocks. I had better get my sewing skates on. I love all the colours. Very not "me" but they are so Spring-like and cheerful.

Random Fabric Photos

I have the backing fabric washed and ready to go for this. It is Amy Butler' "Spring's Beauty" which I bought from John Lewis. I was hoping to finish Sprogzilla's first but I haven't found a decent fabric for the back of that one and we haven't redecorated her room yet so it is okay for now.

Squillions of buttons and they cost just a quid!

I have also been picking up some odd vintage bits of bobs, including a lovely fox fur stole that I think I am allergic to, lots of buttons, a lovely red Tootal scarf that Mum bought me and a pink felt 60's (?) hat by Miss Millie which was apparently from C&A. It is a couple of inches too wee in circumference for my massive head but for £2.95 it was coming home with me.

Look at that wee face. How could I consign him to landfill when he could come and live with me?

I have some polystyrene heads so am thinking of trying to stretch it. Maybe a bad idea? Has anyone ever tried to give it a go. I did a millinery class once and think I might be able to steam and stretch it and pin it till it dries. Any advice grateful received. Will take a photo if it survives the abuse.



As an aside it is really a shame that we are losing another High Street store in BHS which seems to be going the way of C&A. Very sad and terrible for all the people that might lose their jobs. Not going to make any comments about a Kleptocracy, no not me at all.

Next post will be about my Vintage Pledge for 2016. I have been stockpiling patterns and fabric like crazy and actually tracing some of them off to make adjustments to. 

Take care and have a great week!

Kxx










23 comments:

  1. Your "blocks of boredom" are looking great! I love the colours. That wee fox creeps me out a bit, but I agree - he needs a good home! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian. I am liking the colours a lot. The fabrics are about 60% Amy Butler so it makes choosing matching ones pretty easy. I think that the consensus is that the fox is creepy but at least the cat likes him. Xx

      Delete
  2. Good to see you back again! Loving the patchwork, it's such a nice easy, pick up and put down when you feel like it sort of craft isn't it? I haven't done any in ages, and each time I see photos of someone's patchwork makings, I think I ought to have another go. But my poor hands won't take it... they're complaining at the moment about the amount of knitting and crochet I've been doing of late, so am having to rest and do Nothing. Which is extremely boring and frustrating. The fox I don't like at all, cute face or not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Edwina, Thank you! It's nice to have you back too. Sorry to hear that you are finding things difficult with your hands. It is hard when you want to do something and you can't. I hope that you are making it up reading some good books. Patchwork is great for just dipping into, think that I just need to do it more often. Xx

      Delete
  3. Lovely to see you pop up in my sidebar, Kelly! Hope you start feeling a bit more positive and happier soon - this incessant grey weather certainly doesn't help, does it?
    The throw is looking gorgeous, your mum will be thrilled. Tootal scarves are always a great find - Jon keeps having to sell his! Not sure about the hat, my head is massive and they seldom fit so I usually just sell them. Steaming and stretching sounds like a plan. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vix, thank you. I really didn't mean to leave it for so long and have been trying to keep up with everyone's blogs. Don't know how there is so little time left over in a day at the moment. I think that Mum will like it too. They are handy to have round the place in the cooler weather and let's face it in Scotland that could be any of the 365 days of the year. I am a 23 1/2 in hats and find it almost impossible to get ones to fit. I have a big collection of vintage ones that are too small. It's a bit depressing. I will have to photograph my scarf. I have quite a few Tootal ones. Xx

      Delete
  4. Lovely quilt blocks! Great Springlike colours. Good luck with completing all the blocks. Not sure about the fox face either:(, and good luck with stretching the hat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. The colours are lovely and happy. I have nearly all the fabric pieces cut out it just takes me a long time to put them together and sew them up. Poor wee fox. He doesn't have many fans. :( Xx

      Delete
  5. Oh wow those 'blocks of boredom' are fabulous! Your mum's quilt is going to look lovely with that beautiful fabric. I don't sew or accumulate fabric but nice fabrics make me salivate!

    My mum had one of those fox wrap thingies when I was a child - it used bite its own tail and become a stole. I was a little bit scared of it though - the glass eyes seemed to follow me everywhere....

    Hope the rest of the week goes well


    Veronica
    vronni60s.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Veronica, Thank you. Blocks are a great advantage as they are pretty quick to sew, although all the cutting out of literally 100's of bits is a bit of a pain. The fabrics are really lovely. Some of the bits I picked up in John Lewis for 10p in their sale bin. I can see why you would have been scared of the wrap as a child. I like that he is a bit creepy a I have a bit of a thing for taxidermy. I hate to think what that is doing to my Karma. Better not think about getting reincarnated as something fluffy. :) Xx

      Delete
  6. Love the blocks, I'm sure your mum will really appreciate the quilt. Been meaning to do this for ages with my scraps too. Look forward to hearing about your Vintage Pledge plans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do hope that she does like it. I have one that I made 25 years ago and I still use it all the time. I hate chucking any potentially useable it of fabric out. It is a really good way to use up scraps (and maybe get me some space back). I have been buying pattens for the VPP and can't be;give that I haven't made anything yet. How did May happen. Better get my sewing skates on! Xx

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry to hear you've had a dose of the blues. They are rotten! Here's hoping the brighter weather is helping to banish them. Your 'blocks of boredom' look cheery, though.

    I have a tiny head so modern hats don't fit me, it's vintage or nothing for me. (Well, or knit my own.) I have no idea how easy it is to stretch one; good luck with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOh, and BHS - so sad! The quality of their clothing output has been rubbish in recent years, but they still did decent homewares, they just didn't promote them well. Looking at my ancient Littlewoods cardigan, made of lambswool and really hardwearing, I found myself wondering why modern-made 'basics' are such crap quality. Firms like BHS didn't help themselves in that respect.

      Delete
    2. I will keep a look out for tiny hats then, Mim. I often see them and leave them behind as I didn't know anyone that they would fit. It is very sad about BHS, their lighting department was always great, but to be honest the clothing was for the most part cheap, frumpy tat. I have some vintage cardies too and they are lovely quality. After talking to my Mum I think that comparatively people were prepared to pay a lot more for garments as they expected them to last, and they had a lot less of them. No cheap, fast fashion. I think that would probably be a better option rather than the "wear once and chuck" offerings from the likes of Primani and Forever 21. Xx

      Delete
  8. I'm sure your mum will adore the quilt! What a total score with all those buttons. I love sorting through buttons, such a geek! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe. Buttons are fab. When I was wee, Mum had a huge button tin and I used to spend hours playing with it. I have a secret charity shop that I never fail to score at least something from. They used to have a massive collection of sewing patterns but have been getting less and less. Glasgow has quite a few good shops, you would be in your element. :) The buttons were a complete score. There are glass and Bakelite ones in there with a few that look Art Deco. I am off today to see if I can find some more. I love being able to reuse fabrics and materials and, of course, it is much cheaper than buying new. Plus, the thrill of the chase! Xx

      Delete
  9. I love the blocks, especially the green one in the middle. I'm so jealous of the buttons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimberly. The colours are so completely out of my comfort zone but they have been getting a lot of compliments. Must be as they are Spring colours. The buttons are great. I will have to sew a lot more to use them all up. Xx

      Delete
  10. The blocks are definitely spring-like and would be appreciated for their colour in the winter.
    Have you managed to try the steam-and-stretch on the hat yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Sox, Thanks! They are lovely and bright and I think that they are quite cheerful colours. I haven't tried steaming my hat yet. I can't find my millinery pins as everything is still in boxes. Trying to decorate the rest of the house before I tackle my sewing room as it needs so much work. My excuse anyway. :) Will have to get in done, it is a fab hat. Xx

      Delete
  11. The wait for a new blog post from you was worth it! I love those blocks and the quilt will be such a gorgeous gift for your mum. Some yummy buttons too, I always keep my eye out for nice vintage ones too when I'm car booting! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Josie. I do hope that she will like it. Her house gets a bit nippy in the wintertime so it will be handy. I was really happy that I found these buttons. I do come across some every now and again. I have a "secret" charity shop away from the beaten track that I tend to find these things in. I was at my first car boot for years a couple of weeks ago where I go the fox. No buttons though. :) Xx

      Delete