Thursday, 10 December 2015

Between a Rock and a Dear, Green Place!

I have been MIA for a while now as you all know I was moving house. However, it has ended up not in the direction that was planned! I had to make the very tough decision that Birmingham was just too far/way too expensive to commute home to Scotland every week. So rather than see Sprogzilla grow up over Skype I packed up the Studio and bits and bobs and headed back to my house in Glasgow. I moved at the weekend and  am now buried under a sea of bags and boxes and have no idea where anything is. Normally things are a bit more organised than this but moving was very last minute and rushed. Plus, I had pretty much a whole van full of fabric and machines and sewing stuff.  How is that even possible? I did find a couple of big black bags full of posh home dec fabric samples I didn't know I had so it was not all bad. My sewing room to be is about 1/6th the size of the Studio, eek!

Black bag, anyone?

To be really honest, the last couple of years of commuting have been corroding my soul. I was leaving the house just after 6am and not getting back until 9-10pm each night, if the trains were running on time *hahaha*. Although this move was a bit painful I am really looking forward to getting my life back, spending quality time with Sprogzilla and getting back on track with my sewing. I have only had at most one afternoon a week spare if I was lucky (and not travelling further afield).

What my sewing room currently looks like. Floor to ceiling, wall to wall.  The hall, dining room and downstairs bathroom are also full of my sewing stuff. It's rammed in there. Did I mention the garage? Oops!

It's great be back in my own house on a permanent basis and I am planning a raft of redecoration and changes so in warning there might be some home-dec projects on the go. I know that some people hate them, hence the warning, but I love making things for the house and up-cycling crap furniture. Every room is needing completely redone so watch this space. I have been stockpiling kitsch junk for the last 4 years (who am I kidding, forever).  :)

I will be back sewing as soon as I can excavate a machine!

Hoping that you are all surviving the wet, wintry weather (or the baking Summer heat0!

Later Lovelies,

Kxx

19 comments:

  1. Welcome home!!! I'm glad to hear you made a choice to have better quality of life - I can't imagine you'll regret it! And bring on the home dec sewing - maybe you'll inspire the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gillian! I am really glad to be home. Feels like I have been living out of a suitcase for a long time and Sprogzilla is delighted. I adore decorating and making house stuff. I don't know if you will find my cushions inspiring though with all the interesting sewing that you do. :) Xx

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to the home dec stuff, and lovely to see another posting from you. Here's to a more relaxed lifestyle, mother and Sprog bonding sessions, lots of ideas to inspire us less imaginative than you... and here's to a Merry Christmas to you, and all the best for 2016.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Edwina, yes I am really glad to be home and have been wandering the hall(s) paint charts in hand. I have lots of ideas for the house as it needs a total makeover. Will be fun. Sending you the very best of wishes too and all the best for the New Year too! Xx

      Delete
  3. Hoorah! There's only so long you can do a killer commute before your health and your sanity start to deteriorate.
    Good luck with the unpacking and looking forward to seeing some of your amazing creations when you're unpacked and sorted. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that, Vix. Honestly there were days when I thought that I could just lie down on the platform and sleep. I am looking forward to unpacking too. I am finding so much stuff that I had forgotten I had. It's like Christmas early. Xx

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you had one heck of a commute previously so this sounds like a very wise decision! I'm delighted to hear that you'll also have more time to create and then share with us all xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Josie, Yes I was doing Newcastle to York then commuting out of the City. I wasn't the travelling time, more all the connections. I am a bit worn out. Really looking forward to getting back into making things more often. I used to be quite prolific when I was here so once the sewing room is done I have no excuse. Xx

      Delete
  5. Despite the upheaval, the packing, the piles and boxes and the (ahem!) slight overload of fabric, I' sure it will be a relief to be home for good. That commute sounded utterly exhausting. Good luck with settling back in to your house, and with all your projects! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curtise. I have been working from home the last week and I can feel the tiredness seeping out of me. Really can't wait to get back to sewing with a vengeance. Xx

      Delete
  6. A whole van full of fabric and machines? Sounds awesome!! When I lived in Sydney I had a massive commute as well, the extra time you gain at the start and end of the day when you stop is magical - sleep in anyone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen for commenting. Yes a WHOLE van with a couple of black bags of clothes stuffed into it. Seriously, I thought that it was going to explode. I think that I need to get a bit of a grip. I am so glad not to be commuting at the moment. Not getting up at 5am if fantastic. Xx

      Delete
  7. Golly, that sounds like a hideous commute. You must feel so much freer knowing you won't have to do it any more - I bet you'll have a massive burst of extra creativity now the travelling isn't wearing you out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mim, do you know at the time I had to do it so just got on with it. I bumbled along reading blogs on my phone and doing the odd bit of knitting and I didn't think it was too bad. Now that I have some proper time I am amazed at how awake I feel and just how much I can get done in one day. I am dying to get sewing again. Two years of having almost no time meant my productivity was almost zero. Not good. Plus I have found a shedload of vintage patterns I forgot that I had. Merry Christmas to me! :) Xx

      Delete
  8. Ooh, big changes! Wishing you all the best with your un-relocation and have a great festive season xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe. Thanks! We are settling in and finally getting some stuff cleared. Hopefully another week or two and the place will start to take shape. It is odd being back though. Sending the very best wishes to you and the family. Xx

      Delete
  9. How lovely to be home again. And not commuting. Commuting sucks. And you get time with Sprogzilla. And you get to sew. Joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Evie. Today was my last one in the office - 2 weeks still to go at home. A really bittersweet day with lot of laughter and a few tears (and not just from me). I hope that it is the right decision but the commute was really getting too much. Sometimes family have to come first Plus, sewing! :) Xx

      Delete
  10. Wow, I can't imagine all that commuting on the week days and then going home on the weekends on top of that.
    I'm sure your daughter is glad to have you home as much as you are glad to be there.

    ReplyDelete