Sunday, 18 October 2015

My "New" Vintage Coat and Jumble Sale Finds

Life is definitely getting in the way of blogging at the moment. However, not all of it is work-related. Two weekends ago I went to a jumble sale in Morpeth. I had spotted the poster for it on my first visit and was really excited to go, especially as it co-incided with the Morpeth Food and Drink Festival that I didn't even know was on until we got there. Result!


I found vintage fabric. Yippee!  It is brown and blue. I seem to be following the trend. Plus some crocheted dollies for my massive  carefully curated collection and lots of vintage cutlery. The fabric is a very lightweight cotton, semi-transparent but it has a stiff hand. I am not sure if it is a voile. I think that the pattern looks very Liberty-esque although it is not (I think).



I also found a a nice 1960's modernist necklace. It is by the Danish jewellery designer Jorgen Jensen, not to be confused by the son of jeweller Georg Jensen although they had the same name and at one time they worked at the same silversmiths. Jorgen Jensen designed mainly in pewter and produced some lovely modernist pieces. You can see the difference between the two designers in this Pinterest board. Mine is in pewter with turquoise-coloured stones or maybe glass. It is lovely and was a very good buy at 50p!



 I also bought a little metal bag, an Anna Sui one. I don't now if this came in a gift set  or was a freebie with perfume but I love the colours and the design.  I am not normally a fan of anything logo'd but I will make an exception for this. I like little cocktail-style bags so am very glad to welcome this one to the pile.

.

So now to my vintage coat. It is a Aquascutum blue boucle wooden top coat. Is it a swing coat? I don't know. It has a slight A-line shape, probably would have been shin-length (both not on me though) and has the traditional bracelet sleeves you would associate with this style and age of coat. It is really warm and cosy. I am in love with this colour, it is such a departure from my usual black.



This is possibly the worst crappy phone photo of me ever, it was just after 6.30am on my way to work. I have no make-up on, look ridiculously tired and the lighting is awful. Definitely channeling my inner Penfold. Still you work with what you have and I needed to post. With all the crazy going on here I have had no time at all to take photos. I am definitely moving though by the end of the month so hopefully I will have a lot more time for sewing, blogging and taking lots of pictures after that.

So have you been lucky finding things? Are you sewing with the Winter in mind? Or even taking photos at ridiculous hours of the morning?

Sending you all some warm and wooly best wishes from the frozen soggy North!

Kxx



20 comments:

  1. Great finds. I love the necklace. And the coat is stunning. I wish I looked that good at 6.30am!
    Good luck with the move...hope it goes smoothly. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Evie and I look terrible at 6.30am. I am normally up at 5 so I have absolutely no excuse except that it is still the middle of the night. Thanks for the good wishes re: moving. I am not looking forward to the actual box lugging bit, just the end result. :) Xx

      Delete
  2. Well, the coat is lovely and 'very you' as they say. Like you, I wear a lot of black, hides a multitude of sins but does drain the colour somewhat, and if you're pale to start with..... but I like black. I do also have deep rich purple, blue like your coat and a forest green in my wardrobe, so not all Morticia Addams... more Uncle Fester!! Love doilies too. Your posts are always so interesting... thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Edwina, all beautiful colours, especially the purple. I love green too but am experimenting which one suits me. I have no idea now I am a redhead (again). I have a thing about dollies and have far too many. I always buy them when I see them, that and embroidered tablecloths. I think that they are so lovely and I really appreciate the handwork of ladies past. Xx

      Delete
  3. That necklace is a good find! I have a friend who collects modernist jewellery, and she's got some lovely pieces.

    Camera phone photos flatter very few people. You look fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mim, I think I look a state. I have some fab bits of vintage jewellery but am not fussy which era, too much of a magpie for that. I do have a lot of 20's/30's paste. I like a bit of sparkle. I take 99% of the pics on this blog with my phone. I have a big DSLR with all the bells and whistles but the bag is huge and it weighs so much that I hardly use it. It is mostly great but it fails badly in low light. Xx

      Delete
  4. I love the necklace and the coat is gorgeous! I never find good jewellery in charity shops, and I've found nice coats but nothing like Aquascutum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have been very lucky the last couple of weeks. It has been a bit of desert for ages though. I never seem to find anything but Primani. I was very lucky to find a coat my size and in such good condition. Xx

      Delete
  5. My goodness! What an incredible coat, divine! Congratulations on that. Also, good luck on your impending move. I hope it goes as smooth as these things can. I also wanted to send you enormous thanks for all the lovely and supportive comments you leave on my blog posts. I love reading them and really wanted to let you know how much I appreciate them. Zoe xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe, I love reading your blog and I hope that this does't sound creepy but I like seeing all the things you make for Dolores and how she is growing up. Sprogzilla is too big to tolerate home-made things sewn by me. I used to love making her clothes. Good luck with your lovely patterns. Xx

      Delete
  6. Food, booze and jumble sales - the perfect weekend!! Love the Scandi pendant and that pretty fabric. The purse is fabulous, too.
    You look gorgeous in the Aquascutum coat. You can see the quality from here, well worth the pennies you paid! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vix, the food festival was fun. We stocked up on ginger wine,sadly alcohol-free. Yes, that coat was a total bargain. I was very lucky to find it. It really is worth paying for good quality vintage. Much better than the tat you find on the High Street. Xx

      Delete
  7. Wow! The coat is gorgeous! Love the vibrant blue, and the shape is good on you! I do like the fabric and the little purse. I too have a collection of crotchet doilies, but aren't thy getting expensive??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, thanks. I do love the colour. It really cheers me up in the morning and makes me think that I might have to sew a couple of bright coloured coats. I don't know what it is about the doillies, I can't resist them. I was going to sew them all together to make curtains but a lot are far too delicate. They are getting very expensive. Some shops I have been in charge £5 for small ones. I know that there is a lot of work in them and that they are getting scarcer but I think that is a lot. I also have a ton of embroidered/appliqued tablecloths and two sets of crocheted lace edging. One is the size of a big tablecloth, the other the size of a cot quilt. and both are Victorian. They were too pretty not to buy. Xx

      Delete
  8. I love the coat, but I REALLY love the pendant - what a wonderful find, and for 50p! Jumble sales are the business! Two quality items, it does your heart good.
    Blogging through autumn and winter is a bit of a challenge because of the poor light - I'm already noticing a muddy quality in my pics, but I'll persevere. I want to have time for sewing - and also a better camera! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I love turquoise and have a few bits and bobs with it in. Yes, my camera phone is just not coping with the low light at all. I take it everywhere and it is so handy but I might have to dig out the tripod/DSLR combination soon. It is better for low light. I hope that you do have more sewing time. I love the stuff you make. Exciting times! Xx

      Delete
  9. Brilliant finds! Especially the necklace, that is just gorgeous!
    What are you going to do with the fabric?
    I found an old '70's bedsheet in my local thrift shop yesterday. I think it is silk, or at least silk like, it's all shades brown and it's weirdly fabulous! Am thinking of making a top/blouse of of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your fabric sounds beautiful. What a brilliant find. I love 70's patterns. Not sure yet with the fabric, it is quite narrow and comes in 2 pieces. Maybe a blouse or a vest top to layer under a cardigan. Xx

      Delete
  10. Beautiful coat! It looks marvelous on you. That fabric is a great find, too! I'm glad you found a minute to post. I've also been too busy to write much, lately. Maybe I'll do a quick post today :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely comment. Yes, life is running away with me at the moment and I am in the middle of a house move. No sewing time but I am trying to keep up with the blog reading on my phone. Xx

      Delete