Wednesday, 9 September 2015

Vintage Pattern Pledge Garment No. 3 - 70's Crimplene Maxi Skirt

Hello! Have you had a good week? I hope so. I have been doing a lot of travelling, a little sewing and a fair bit of knitting in the sunshine (thank you 3-hour rail delays).


Remember back in the Summer 2014 I picked up some crimplene? Well I have finally found a good use for it. This stuff is crazy. I have no idea what the pattern is, maybe some Martian forest? Anyway, the colours are great so I decided to make myself a skirt from Simplicity 7308,  a pattern from 1975. The fabric is actually patterned in reds and purple/pinks but the lighting above has made it turn brown. Apologies for the crappy photos but I have not had a chance to get out and about to take any others.


The pattern is for two skirts, a 4-gore and a 6-gore, both in an A-line shape and with two length options which makes it very versatile. I know that I will use this one lots and have bought some new fabric for the 6-gore version. I made the Size 42 , View 2 and I have to say it is a bit roomy. Crimplene is a bit stretchy though so I will reserve my final judgement until I have made it up again in a woven.

Behold, the skirt in all it's static glory! This was a breeze to make. Only three pattern pieces and a centred back zipper. I had a fairly good match lurking in my stash so didn't have to buy anything extra. The pattern was a couple of quid on eBay and the fabric was not much more. I used a press cloth to flatten the seams before overlocking them as I didn't want to melt the fabric onto my iron.

Outsides

Insides

This pattern is long. I haven't taken a hem up yet but it is almost down to the floor on me. I am almost 6-foot, plus I am wearing heels, so they liked their hems big and their skirts long in '75. I was toying with the idea of taking it up an inch and adding some lace. Maybe in version number 2. Yep, I love this pattern so much that I can see a few more on the horizon. My favourite skirt is an almost identical St Michael one in flowery velvet and since I have expanded too much to wear it I will have to make some proxies instead.

Birmingham University Campus

The Massive Uni Clock Tower

Campus Art

We went to Birmingham last week. The move looks inevitable now so my colleague and I took a little time to investigate the surroundings and a lot of time to investigate the restaurants. I may have bought some fabric from Fancy Silk Stores. As it was a Wednesday the Rag Market was shut. We were gutted as we were looking forward to a good explore. Shoddy planning on my part and it won't happen again I can tell you. I think that this beauty is destined to be a pair of trousers. It is probably 100% petrochemicals but it has a beautiful weight and drape.


I have been a bit naughty and bought a load of new and vintage patterns off eBay. I am only buying ones now that will fit me so that there is a good chance that they will make their way into useable garments later this year. This skirt sees me having sewn my quota for the Vintage Pattern Pledge but as I like the patterns so much I can definitely see a few more on the horizon so i am planning to double it to six garments by the end of the year.

Anyway, apologies for the rushed post. I will take better pics of the skirt when I have sewn version 2. This week and last have been stupidly busy and there is no sign of it abating in the near future. Hopefully I will be able to fit in some sewing round it all! Stress!!

Hope that life is good!

Kxx









10 comments:

  1. The chances of any skirt coming from Mars were a million to one, they said...

    It's not naughty to buy patterns, as you're going to put them to good use. I look forward to seeing what you make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mim. I am really enjoying sewing with vintage patterns again. Oh no, I have an ear worm now!

      Delete
  2. Love Mim's comment! And the skirt. Goodness...Crimplene...what a find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. There is a great shop selling donated fabrics and I found ti for a couple of quid. Crimplene was so popular in the 70's. I have a couple of really crazy blouses. Pity it is so hot to wear. Xx

      Delete
  3. That skirt is blinking gorgeous and it fits like a dream!
    Gah! I should have thought to tell you when you blogged about visiting the Rag Market, my calendar's all over the shop at the moment. Tuesday's the best day, there's a man with really cheap notions and trimmings who you'll love.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vix. My fault for not checking, I normally do. There is a covered market in Newcastle and it is open everyday so I just assumed that the Rag Market would be the same. Never mind, I will have tons to time to visit it soon. I can do with some trims. :) Xx

      Delete
  4. Ooh, I LOVE that skirt; a 1975 pattern, Crimplene, and a bonkers print - of course I do! I agree, Seventies patterns do seem very long, it must have been to accommodate the stonkingly high platforms.
    Can't wait to see further versions of the skirt. (And a slip will sort out any static cling!)
    I'm sure you'll find plenty to appreciate about Birmingham, honest! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I really love this pattern and have already cut out another version, just a wee bit shorter and in a draper fabric. Platforms, I wonder how many ankle breakages they were responsible for? I love them though. I think that I will too but will be working all the time I am there so will probably not have much time to explore. Xx

      Delete
  5. Love the skirt! They sure had some good fashion in the 70's! (I was born in 79, so I can sort of say that.....a bit..)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm planning a visit to the ragmarket at half term- fancy hooking up?

    ReplyDelete