Saturday, 26 September 2015

Postcards from the Edge

I have been away again, this time in France. La Rochelle to be precise and a couple of places past there into the countryside, Velluire and Vix. No leisure trip for me though, just work and to be honest although it was scenic I wasn't feeling the love 100% being a bit wiped out. Been really pushing it the last few weeks. 


La Rochelle is quite a pretty place. It has a nice harbour and has the biggest marina in Europe apparently.


It definitely has a chequered past though, having been a stopover for slaves bound for the US and furs back from Canada.


I found a lot to like about the place. The locals were very helpful and didn't laugh at my schoolgirl French but the place was a bit of a tourist trap. 




There  was some fun art about the city from eco-whales to peturbed horses...




..... to beautiful mosaics in the train station and a rock lobster (couldn't resist)....


... and even phantom windows.

Velluire was nice but there was no one in it and lots of empty houses. No shops, no bars and only the hotel, which was shut when I got there. The hotel was on the banks of the Vendee and was in a nice spot. It would have been a lot better without the two bloody massive spiders in my room. Their bodies were the size of a small conker! Needless to say that night I got no sleep. I am still as jumpy as a cat.


 I did manage to pick up the Burda Plus and the Ottobre Woman Autumn/Winter 2015 sewing mags while I was away. There are some great t-shirt/hoodie patterns in the Ottobre for Sprogzilla. I am off now until the middle of next week so will try to get some sewing done and prepping some fabric. I have some dinosaur print knit fabric that I have been hoarding that I will use for the T.

SOURCE

Anyway in other news, this morning I was looking online for fabric for a winter coat. We then decided to take a mystery run out and ended up in Morpeth, a little market town in Northumberland. There were so many charity shops, although to be honest there wasn't that much in them bar George and Primani. They were very expensive, especially the Salvation Army "boutique" and the Relate shop. The latter was so dear for some things that it was seriously in line with some of the more OTT vintage shops, however I did find a 1950's/60's Aquascutum bouclé A-line coat in a nice dark blue. It is in immaculate condition and was quite a bargain even if i did cost me £40. I normally balk at paying that much for anything in a charity shop but I couldn't have bought a jacket from Tesco's for that. It does me no favours but it is very warm and I love the colour. Photos to come as I it was dark by the time we were home and I still feel a state.

So what have you been sewing? Found any gems on your travels? What's your ceiling for buying vintage?

Happy Weekend!

Kxx






14 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the pics. The lobster is such a hoot!!
    Sounds like you won't need to make a new coat. The new/old vintage find sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhonda. Thank you. Yes, they really went a bit nuts with the nautical theme on the station front. It had everything from fish to lobsters. It was a nice building. It really was a lucky find with the coat although I think that I will still need to make a more work appropriate version. I love your one. Xx

      Delete
  2. No one can resist Rock Lobster!
    Lovely photos from France; travelling abroad for work always sounds rather glamorous, but I suppose the truth is that it can be a bit lonely and tiring.
    I tried on a fantastic 1960s black wool coat in a charity shop. It fitted well, was immaculate, had marvellous buttons and was extremely well made, but I balked at paying £17. I know - I'm regretting it now. But I do already have a full length black faux fur, and I didn't think I could justify a second black coat. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Curtise, you are totally right. It can be really fun, but I spend most of my time running between connections or sitting for hours in airports with maybe only an hour or two to kill wherever I am. However, I always map out the fabric shops (if I have enough time) and I really like reading. I took a factual book about a serial killer in Paris during the occupation. It was interesting, especially the social history parts.
      Your find sounds fantastic. I know exactly what you mean, I think that is expensive too. I am showing my age now, charity shops used to be so cheap. Plus they were packed to the rafters with great stuff. A well - fitted black.coat is a wardrobe classic. I think if you like it you should get it as you may never find another. Plus things always wear for longer when you have a few. Good excuse anyway. You look great in black. :) Xx

      Delete
  3. The perplexed horse is my favourite although Rock Lobster comes a close second.
    What a beautiufl place despite its rather unpleasant slave/fur trade history.
    Much better to pay a little more for something fabulous and second hand than something new and inferior quality. The coat sounds gorgeous, looking forward to seeing it on.
    What great hoodie patterns! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vix, it was full of the beautiful people, their tiny dogs and big boats. I agree completely. I hardly ever buy new stuff, it's just not worth the money, except for stuff for work. Vintage or home-made all the way. Hoodies seem to be some sort of teen uniform so the patterns will get well used.
      I was in your namesake town -Vix! It is full of lovely old farmhouses and a vineyard or two. There are also a lot of melon farms but I didn't know enough french to ask if they were kinky. That could have got me into all sorts of trouble. :) Xx

      Delete
  4. Good luck with all the awesome-sounding sewing projects you outlined in the comment on my blog post! Sounds like lots of fun. I know what you mean, I have fabric that is about ten years old lurking about as well... xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe. I really am in desperate need of some posh work-appropriate clothes and have lots of fabric and patterns lined up. You know how it is though, you start with good intentions and life gets in the way. I am really trying to find the time for more sewing at the moment but it is hard. I did make half another vintage skirt today but my machine is playing silly buggers. Just think if we keep our fabric long enough if will become vintage. I have some from Mum that is from the 1930's! :) Xx

      Delete
  5. Rock Lobster - Love it! I'm not sure my car booting finds count as vintage but I never buy new fabric, my entire stash is curtains and duvet covers and they can be any age from the 1950s onwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I had a good chuckle when I saw it. That is so great to find cool fabrics at car boots. You use some great ones. Never think to go to them but I have heard that there are a lot of good ones in the North East. There is supposed to be a fabulous one at the rugby club in Gateshead but I am not quite sure which club. :) I will definitely be going back to Morpeth for a good rummage again though. Xx

      Delete
  6. Lovely photos from your trip to France. I can imagine that travelling for business can be tiring. I'm intrigued by your vintage coat purchase - looking forward to seeing photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. Yes, it is but can be fun at times and I am lucky to see a lot of places even if it is only for an hour or two. I have not had a chance to take any pics but will get onto it ASAP. Xx

      Delete
  7. Rock lobstaaaa! nice :P I've never been to France so I'm pretty envious! You took some lovely pictures, even if you weren't feelin' it. I've seen that issue of ottobre on a few blogs now and I love all of those cozy hooded things. I really want to order myself a copy. Maybe when I get my next paycheck ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think that I was in just a bit of a strop with myself. Not sure that it would be top of the list to visit again but it did have nice views. I haven't made anything from one yet but am loving Ottobre. I like that they have all the styles in all the sizes and some of the back issues have great designs. I think that you can get pdf files of single patterns but don't quote me on that. :) Xx

      Delete