Sunday, 13 September 2015

Made Up Initiative Pledge - The Fómhar Cowl

Hello! This will be a super-quick post today as I am working. I was working till late last night too so I have not had a chance to sew up the second Simplicity 7308 skirt that I have cut out and was planning to make yesterday. Buggeration!  I am using fabric that has been in my stash for about 12 years.


Do you read the 'Did You Make That" blog? If so then you will be following the lovely Karen Ball's brilliant fund raising online event for the National Literacy Trust, the Made Up Initiative. The idea was to donate to her Just Giving page and pledge to make up an item by the 10th September. I pledged to knit up a scarf using my hand dyed wool and I did!

I used a free pattern that I found on Ravelry. It is the Emerald Isle cowl pattern from Linda Dawkins and can be found on the Natural Suburbia website.  This is a quick easy pattern but boy did I mess it up. I had to rip it down twice as I got completely lost and kept knitting the wrong rows. Always happens when you are in a hurry. Tsk. 

I made a couple of alterations to the pattern, I cast on 200 stitches to make it a bit longer. Good thing I did as I can barely loop this it is so not stretchy and I used 150g of yarn rather than the recommended 100g - I like my scarfs chunky. The bamboo yarn I used was not at all springy and stretchy like wool is so I think that I would use a different yarn type next time I knit it. It is a lovely pattern and one that you would be able to see better in a less variegated colour way. Haven't had time to wash and block this yet so I think that the pattern may stand out more after that.

In keeping with the Irish theme I have called this scarf "Fómhar", which translates as "Autumn", as the colours remind me of fallen leaves. It is a bit less red in real life.

Anyway, thanks to Karen for the kick up the **** and for organising such a great fundraiser. Books are my friends, teachers and constant companions. I just can't imagine how poor life would be without being able to read.

On that note I had better go look busy. Have a fabulous week, lovelies!

Kxx





8 comments:

  1. Tehehe - I love that picture! :) The colours are great with your hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian. I am really going to try to up the ante on with my pics over he next few weeks. Your posts have been really inspirational. I was not expecting the colours to be so muted but I really do like them. Xx

      Delete
  2. That really is a fab picture and the colour is just gorgeous! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vix. Just a super-fast phone photo. I do like the colours and after the weather we have been having today think that I will need a scarf sooner rather than later. Xx

      Delete
  3. That's a great cowl - the colours have really worked well.

    And the Patrones magazine arrived yesterday. Thank you so much for that and the beautiful earrings. They were a beautiful surprise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mim, sorry they took so long to get to you. I only have weekends off and have been working them. Plus it got forgotten about for a couple of days In the boot of the car. :( Really glad you like them though. Thanks, The colours are a bit cut of my comfort zone but I do love them. Xx

      Delete
  4. Great photo! The scarf is fab, such lovely colours. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. They are better than the beigey-green that it was but more subtle than the pic suggests. You can't have too many scarfs in my book. Xx

      Delete