Sunday, 30 August 2015

The Winner and the Quilt Top

Hello Strangers! I didn't mean to leave it so long since my last post but have been working too much a lot plus I was a bit ill for a week and wasn't up to anything much bar being sick and sleeping. Sorry for the "too much information".


Anyway, I had a whole day in the studio yesterday and I pieced together the quilt top for Sprogzilla's quilt/throw thing. Sprogzilla helped me lay out all the pieces and we chose where they all went together. I know that there will be quilting purists out there that are sighing at my shoddy piecing but this was never going to be a block party. Pieces were chosen for colour and design just because we liked them. We tried to offset the pieces and sometimes it even worked.


We have zombies


And ponies and it has glow in the dark stars. 

What more could you ask for in a quilt? Maybe better photos in natural light. The colours are much deeper and more vibrant than in these pics.  I am now on the hunt for a nice solid grey to make a border round the edges and as a backing. I also need to get wadding but I think that this will have to be an online job. Any recommendations very eagerly received! There is not much round here, they don't even have the thin cotton stuff I am after in John Lewis or Fenwick's.  At the moment my top stands at 42 inches by 72 inches. I am hoping that the final size will be 48 inches by 78 inches. I have not picked a design for the quilting yet but I do fancy chevrons as this will look quite modern on the back.


So anyway for the news that you have all been waiting for, the winner of the Patrones magazine is (as drawn by Sprogzilla)....wait for it...... Mim! Thanks to everyone for leaving a comment and I will drop you a line to find out where to send it to. Apologies again for sending this late.

Finally, I am off to Birmingham for a flying visit on Tuesday so am going to take full advantage of being there and have a look at the Rag Market. I have taken photos of the backs of all the patterns I need fabric for so hopefully I will find some to make one of the 70's skirt patterns I have. I seems to have tons of 1.5m lengths of things but very little in bigger sizes. Shows you how old most of my stash is as I would be hard pressed to squeeze at top out of 1.5m these days.

I hope that all is good with you all and I'll report back on what I find in Birmingham.

Take care and have fun!

Kxx











8 comments:

  1. Hope you're feeling loads better now.
    What a fab quilt, love the added zombies and ponies! If you don't have any success on the Rag Market check out the Fancy Silk Store (it's almost opposite the main entrance) and a Brum institution. If I wasn't off to End Of The Road I'd come and meet you.
    Well done to Mim! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vix. I have high hopes for next week. There is very little going on here fabric-wise so anything is an improvement. Thanks for the heads up about the Fancy Silk Store. I have heard about it but didn't think that we would have enough time to go. Nice to know it is nearby, we may risk a swift visit. Have a brilliant time at the festival! Xx

      Delete
  2. Bugger the purists - it's a fantastic quilt! And it's been made to the exact requirements of the owner, so if she's happy, that's great!
    Hope the trip to Brum goes well. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curtise. If there is fabric involved I am sure that it will. Do you know when I was making it it reminded me of a pair of dungarees I had in to 90's. I love patchwork and Sprogzilla is pretty happy to have something for her bedroom. Xx

      Delete
  3. Woohoo! I shall send you my address.

    I think that's an excellent quilt - it's the sort of thing where you could have fun looking at all the different prints and never have your eye fall on the same combination of squares twice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mim. We thought that too. Plus I am far too messy to make joined up quilting. It is so unforgiving for wonky sewing. Will get your mag out to you ASAP. Xx

      Delete
  4. Fab quilt, I love it! Do you ever hit car boot sales? When I need a large piece of backing fabric I just pick up old curtains or bedding, they provide metres of fabric but cost pennies xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Josie, Thanks and thanks for the tip. I used to go all the time. There was a great one in Aberdeen when I was a student and I bought many weird and wonderful things from it, from Victorian taffeta underskirts to Maori Tiki plaques.I haven't gone for ages but I did pick up some good curtain fabric from a junk shop in Newcastle. I will definitely try to get to one soon. Xx

      Delete