Sunday, 31 May 2015

What the Water Gave Me - My Simplicity Blogger Challenge Reveal!

At the end of March I was really excited to learn that Simplicity were holding a challenge to find their "Star Sewist" and were kindly sending out a free pattern to anyone that wanted to enter. The closing date for entries was the 31st May (today, Woo Hoo!) so nothing like needing a deadline to get me motivated. I decided that I fancied having a go in the "Vintage" category as I have had my eye on Simplicity 1364 since before the competition started. However from experience I knew that I would have a fair few adjustments to make to get it to fit my massive bust. You can read all about them and my fabric choices in my first post on making this up.



This picture was my initial inspiration. I have been thinking about making a top like this for a long time. Love how such a simple trim can transform a plain black top and inject a bit of colour.


My two patterned fabrics have quite an abstract, tropical feel and I am sure that Frida would have approved. She was a keen gardener like me, and this is celebrated by a current exhibition at the New York Botanical Garden entitled  Frida Kahlo: Art, Garden, Life.

So without further ado here is the big reveal - my "What the Water Gave Me" top - so called as I had lots of time to reflect (see what I did there?) on stuff tacking all the binding on.


It has binding round the sleeves and neckline and an exposed zipper in the back.


This is a very versatile top and can be styled a lot of ways. I love that it can work for a lot of vintage looks.  I like the design of it being a bit of a vintage lover and hope that you do too. It comes together very quickly and is a great blank canvas to make it your own.

Apologies for the bad phone photos but I don't really have anyone to help me take them. Sprogzilla was revising and her Dad is the worst photographer I have ever seen.

So to round up. That's my entry to the challenge. I have had a ton of fun making and styling this top. I mean, it is not every day that I get to dress up like one of my heroines and take a load of bad duck-faced selfies in my bathroom.


“Simplicity


Thanks to Simplicity for very generously donating the pattern and best of luck to everyone with their entries!

Have a great week.

K xx

8 comments:

  1. I've been waiting for the big reveal and it was absolutely worth the wait! A simply gorgeous top and stunning pictures, good luck with the competition, you've already got my vote! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Josie, that's really kind. I had so much fun making this and hamming it up for the photos. Could hardly keep a straight face. It is a comfy top and covers a multitude of sins so it is enough of a win in my books already. :) xx

      Delete
  2. Wow! What a great top, and what fantastic photos, you look amazing! I love the double row of binding at the neckline and sleeves. Now - can we vote?
    PS. I thought of you yesterday - I'm making a jumpsuit from a vintage pattern and the darts were in the wrong place for my 50 year old boobs, so I moved them. (The darts, not my boobs.) By guesswork rather than any measurements, I have to say... Sadly, I think the jumpsuit is going to look like an oversized rompersuit, but again, it's all part of the learning, isn't it? Adapting patterns is a skill I don't have, and I feel I need to learn to improve the final fit. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No voting but thanks for the sentiment. i really had fun making this, even sewing on the binding. The best way to find out your bust point (apex) would be to cut out the paper pattern, fold back the seam allowance, place it on your shouder aligned up with where the seam would go and then hold it up to yourself in front of the mirror. Just mark on the pattern with a pen and you can find out the difference, not just in where it lies vertically but also the space between your boobs (don't know what that term will do for my internet searches). You can then compare wher they are. Some pattern have a little circle with a cross through it and this is what marks the apex on the pattern. It doesn't always say what the mark is for though.
      Jumpsuit sounds fantastic. I have a sort of Charlies Angels thing going on in my head now. I am dying to see it, you will rock it. If you need a fitting buddy then drop me an email. Would be very glad to help if I can Xxxx

      Delete
  3. Wonderful idea and very well executed! I absolutely love your selfies, your make up is so striking. I've a mind to do something Kahlo-inspired myself but don't think I have the eyebrows for it! Good luck in the competition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charityshopchic. Thank you for the lovely comment. I was absolutely orange in real life. I looked like an Oompa Loompa. It was lots of fun though. I *do* have the eyebrows and probably the 'tache too. :)
      Life imitating art. Xx

      Delete
  4. How fabulous. Love your Frida look. The picture of you is fabulous. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BeaJay. Doing this really took me out of my comfort zone. Think that it is good to do that once in a while. Xx

      Delete