Sunday, 1 March 2015

Love is Like a Butterfly (Mabel)

I have a horrific work deadline this week so this will be a very short post. Still not had time to take the shots for my Wardrobe Architect. Although, talking of all things Colette here are some pics of my finished Mabel skirt. As I have written about in a previous post, I received this pattern from the lovely Friedericke of Naehen Ist Therapy blog as part of the Curvy Sewing Collective Holiday Swap. This was great for me as I have now lost my fear of sewing knits and have even got to grips with my overlocker again after losing the knack! Thanks, Friedericke.

Colette Patterns, Mabel - View C

This is made using view C, the longer pencil skirt with a 3-panel front and 2-panel back, plus attached waistband except I didn't see the point of a vent in a stretchy fabric so I folded the vent part back on the pattern piece and cut the whole back piece on the fold.  It is made up in a blue butterfly-print Ponte knit remnant from The Textile Centre on eBay. There was only 0.9m and it cost about 3 quid so this skirt must qualify for bargain of the year, pipping my snakeskin Ponte Gertie pencil skirt by a whole 50p. It was supposed to just be a potentially wearable muslin so another definite win. Because of the muslin status I made no attempt at pattern matching but it doesn't look too shady if you ask me.



So will I make this again - Yes! Will I sew with more knits? Try and stop me. This skirt took about 2 hours in total. My only problem was that I cut out the 2XL and after comparing the sizing with the Gertie skirt realised that I had to trim off a whopping 6 inches - 1 inch off each side seam piece and 2 inches off the front panel piece.  Plus I would like the skirt to sit a little higher in the waist. Now that I have some patterns to finesse I can see a lot of knit skirts in my life. Since they take such little fabric they are a cheap and quick fix. I even have some more fabric washed, lined up and good to go.

So who wins the knit pencil skirt challenge? Gertie or Mabel? Looking at the photos I will have to say I don't know but will definitely use both patterns again so maybe it is a draw.

Have you tried both of these patterns? What did you think? Or do you have a tried 'n' true pencil skirt pattern?

Hope you are having a good week wherever you are. 

Kxx

16 comments:

  1. Here's to overcoming fears :) Such a lovely piece of fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhonda. I couldn't agree more. I just lost my nerve after not using my overlocker for years. We really should just go for things. xxxx

      Delete
  2. Yeah, this is so cool! I'm really really happy that you still like the pattern after giving it a try and that you lost your fears. I love knit skirts, they are chick and comfy, secret pyjamas. I'm looking forward to see more of them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this pattern, Frierdericke. Thank you so much for making me get out of my comfort zone and into a comfy skirt. You will definitely see some more. :) xxxx

      Delete
  3. I love this skirt on you. The fabric is gorgeous. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eve. It is above the knee. Shameless, and at my age too! Wish I had bought the black and pink stuff now but it is out of stock. They are great for cheap (but nice) fabric. Xxxx

      Delete
    2. Sorry Evie, predictive text strikes again. Xxxx

      Delete
  4. It's a lovely fabric, and the skirt looks fantastic. Nice pins too, Mrs! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curtise! It is nice but blue. I have nothing blue. Good excuse to make more stuff. Xxxx

      Delete
  5. You have done great conquering your fear of knits. Love your skirt and that is lovely fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BeaJay for your lovely compliment. It wasn't so scary once I was started. I think many things in life are like that. Now onto the next one. Xxxx

      Delete
    2. The skirt looks fabulous on you and I love the butterfly fabric. I can understand your fear of the overlocker and knits, I had an embroidery machine but it seemed really fussy about tension, fabric, threads, stabiliser, in fact just about everything! I would quite like an overlocker but imagine it would be the same. I now just stick to my trusty Bernina! xx

      Delete
    3. Oooh, a Bernina. I have a lot of old (and cheap) machines but am on the lookout for a Bernina. One of these days. They are lovely machines.Embroidery machines do look a bit complicated but they can do lovely things. Overlockers are pretty fussy but I bought a book and am feeling a lot more confident. I used to love doing rolled hems on Sprogzilla's dresses might have to give it a go again, otherwise I am happy just to use it to finish off my seams. xxxx

      Delete
  6. Just looking for something on Ebay and found this.... Vintage 1950s French Mon Ouvrage Sewing Dressmaking magazine/s ,,, thought of you if it's of any interest?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was under the search 1950's books in books etc category, if it helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Edwina. Thanks for sharing this. I have never heard of that magazine before but it looks great. I love the illustrations. Hope everything good with you. xxxx

      Delete