Saturday, 10 January 2015

The Vintage Pattern Sewing Pledge 2015

Do you sew vintage patterns? Or are a fan of vintage styles and fancy putting a toe in the water with some vintage repros? Then you might be interested in "The Vintage Pattern Pledge" being hosted by Marie from A Stitching Odyssey, ably assisted by Kerry from Kestrel Makes.

Simplicity 5519, Vogue 5827 and Simplicity 7716

As you may know, or have realized by now I am an avid pattern buyer and I have bags of vintage patterns kicking about. Unfortunately, not many in my size but I do have some vintage repros which are, plus a couple of true vintage plus-sized gems.

McCall's 7456, Butterick 4708 and Simplicity 7583.

One of my goals for this year was to actually do some sewing and make myself some garments so when this came up I was pleased as I had been following the proceedings last year.

Vogue 5956, Simplicity 6808 and McCall's 7230

So I, Kelly of Mother of Invention do solemnly swear that I will actually put my needles where my mouth is and stitch up at least three of my vintage patterns in 2015.

“The

Think that I should manage three in a whole year! I hope that they allow patterns taken from vintage examples. I don't know if they will as I have to draft it up myself so it is a "new" pattern really but I'll have a go anyway. I love redrafting and making these patterns up, like this 1930's girdle from the the "Vintage Lingerie" book by Jill Salen. The style lines on this are beautiful, it looks really Art Deco.




I have still got to finish the binding properly, add front closures and put some suspenders on the front but I hope that you get the general idea. Apologies for the dodgy phone pics but I forgot to take these in daylight today. This looks really gorgeous on. I made it up exactly as drafted and it fits a neat UK size 8. I used cotton coutil, a specialty corset fabric with a tight weave, for the strength layer the same as the original but I used a silk dupion outer and lined it with coordinating quilting cotton. Don't think that this would have been too comfy to wear in real life but it gives a smashing shape. Would certainly have kept you in a svelte, slinky shape perfect for all those bias-cut gowns.

Hope that I have added enough length.

Well that is enough of me waffling on. I had to do some work today and still have to pre-wash all my new fabrics. I have drawn out my "Mabel" pattern. Boy, is she short. I held up the pattern to get an idea of the length on me and it *just* came to the bottom of my bottom! Eek! So I added three inches to the length. I am far too old to have all my giblets on display. Really looking forward to making this  though as it is nice and pegged, just the way I like it.


Have a great week and stay warm (or cool if you are in the Southern Hemisphere) !

Kxx






10 comments:

  1. Love the corset! Great shape and colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms Nora. That ochre-coloured silk really is bright like that. I love the combination of these colours and I was lucky enough to squeeze this out of some remnants that I had lying around. The shapes are so lovely on. They really accentuate the hip curve. xx

      Delete
  2. That corset is so beautiful and the colors are divine. I signed up to sew 6 vintage patterns this year.... I hope I can follow through with that! I have a lot and some that are actually in my size, so I need to just do it! :) I have yet to sew up the Mabel... I've been planning to this winter as I would likely only wear it with tights/leggings and boots...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tanya. I am really looking forward to sewing some vintage. Seems a shame to have all those patterns just doing nothing. I have bought a few "Mabel" fabrics and will probably style it the same. Too cold not to wear tights here even in the summer. ;) xx

      Delete
  3. Well, if you've solemnly sworn, then bloody hell, you'd better do it!
    So many gorgeous patterns to choose from - hmmm, to pick a favourite would be tricky but I'm particularly taken with the Butterick 4708 and the McCall's 7230.
    And that corset is amazing! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curtis. I really have no excuse not too. I have a whole year. I have tons of patterns that will now stare at me accusingly . Those two are great aren't they. Very "you". How's your sewing? You make great things. Xx

      Delete
  4. I too have tons of vintage patterns, but mine are more from the 30s and 40s. Can't wait to see which you choose.
    I am in awe of your corset making skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhonda. Don't let the pics fool you. I have many from then too, even some lingerie patterns but I have a bit of a thing for the 60's and 70"s. I imagine that you have some great ones. Those decades were very chic. I like to think that I am just curating patterns for future sewers. Xx

      Delete
  5. Well, I can't really sign up as I am giving away all my vintage patterns this year and have discovered that I don't really like sewing vintage, I just like looking at the artwork on vintage patterns. Gotta get them out in to other people's hands so they can make good work of them. Your corset is fantastic. I love that inner lining fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alicia, using a co-ordinating quilting cotton to line a corset is a bit of a trademark for me. I absolutely love the artwork on vintage patterns and have bought many a one from eBay just because of the it. Better than the pics they have now. Conversely, it really can be a bit haphazard how it turns out with only a drawing to go by'. :) xx

      Delete