Sunday, 18 January 2015

How I Stared with a Mabel and Ended with A Gertie! (Plus My Plans for Wardrobe Architect 2015).

Hi Everyone, well yesterday was a bit of a wash-out sewing-wise although I did trace out two patterns which will be going head-to-head in my knit pencil skirt challenge. Sprogzilla and I got down late to the Studio yesterday (I have no sewing machines at home now) partly because we had to go do some food shopping but also because Sprogzilla introduced me to "Attack on Titan", a Japanese anime and we watched a few episodes in the morning. It's great and very addictive! 


This is a  91cm/150cm-wide ponte knit remnant that I bought from The Textile Centre on eBay to make a test run of my Mabel pattern. When I saw the fabric though I thought that it might be better as the pencil skirt version 3# so I quickly traced it out completely as drafted. No length changes at all as I wanted to see how it sewed up and if it was a bit above the knee then that was okay, it was a wearable muslin. I cut it out, put a new needle back into my overlocker to make it back into a 4-thread and then discovered that I had no navy blue thread. I never even thought to check before I started cutting. I have 100's of threads in every colour apart from navy blue it seems. Typical! The photo really makes this look very dark but it is closer to Monaco Blue.

source
So what to do, I was all fired up to do some sewing? I bought the new "Gertie Sews Vintage Casual" this week which I will review when I have some time. 


Not the high-point of my book collection I have to say but it did include the knit pencil skirt pattern above so I quickly traced it out. One pattern piece! My kind of pattern. It was just straight up and down though and to be honest I thought that would be a bit frumpy so I pegged it by about 1.5cm at the bottom and cut it out. Anyway, I had just overlocked the raw edges top and bottom before I sewed up the side seams when I was called away to do something and didn't get back to it before I got picked up to go home. Boo! I used another ponte knit from The Textile Centre for this skirt. This is a bit heavier weight than the butterflies but there is not much between them. They are both lovely fabrics and I will seriously be buying more of the snakeskin. They both have great stretch.


The plus point of both these patterns is that they are so economical. You could have cut out both these skirts from way less than a metre respectively. Out of the fabric bits that are left over there are some good sized scraps which could probably make some short raglan sleeves and a binding for a knit top  (a plan emerges). I can't comment on the fit yet but as these are all good to go then I should get them sewn up next weekend.


Talking of plans I will also be posting next weekend about my plans for Wardrobe Architect as I am taking part this year.  January is all about finding your core style and exploring shapes so I have scoured the interwebs to completely rip off   review the options for assessing your own body shape using photography to make a croquis  (a little line drawing of your figure used as a template for design) and using the low-tech paper and pen to find out your own proportions. Be warned though. It won't be for the faint of heart as I will be seen in something tight so you can see all the undisguised lumpy bits in their full glory. The things I do for sewing!

Anyway, enough waffling for today. If you have got this far thanks for reading and please tune in next weekend for the full horror!

Later lovely people! K xx



6 comments:

  1. The wardrobe Architect challenge sounds like much fun, I look forward to seeing what you make of it! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms Nora. My wardrobe is bursting with stuff but it is all a bit haphazard, too wee or a bit past it's sell-by date. Time to take things in hand. :) xx

      Delete
  2. Great fabrics, looking forward to seeing the finished skirts.
    Oh blimey, all that body shape assessment terrifies me, and I'm never convinced of how much it helps anyway... As a typical hourglass, I should really suit pencil skirts, when in reality, I don't! Still, each to their own, and I'll follow your explorations with interest! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Curtise, you have a great pair of pins. I think you would look fab in a pencil skirt but it is what we are comfy in isn't it? To be honest assessing me is not giving me a thrill but I think you need to be honest with yourself if you are sewing. Tape measure doesn't lie unfortunately. :) xx

      Delete
  3. Love that ponte! Do you have a link for that shop...????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Evie, it's fab fabric, great stretch. The shop is: stores.ebay.co.uk/thetextilecentre/ . They buy up roll ends from High Street clothing manufacturers and such. They are really cheap and very fast with their delivery. I have bought fabric from them loads of times and never been disappointed. Xx

      Delete