Thursday, 25 December 2014

The Curvy Sewing Collective Holiday Swap!

Hi Everyone and a very Merry Christmas to you all! Or if you don't celebrate Christmas then I hope you have the opportunity to take a nice break with family and friends.


Today I want to write about the kindness of strangers, and some curvy sewing of course.
I recently took part in the Curvy Sewing Collective Holiday Swap. This was where you gave your details on the Curvy Sewing Collective website and were partnered with another member of the online sewing community. The idea was to send a pattern, and perhaps a few notions, to your swap partner. I thought that this was a lovely idea so signed myself up.

I was partnered with Friedericke, who has a terrific blog at Naehenisttherapie (Sewing is Therapy). If you haven't read her blog before you should really give it a read. I was blown away by her chic, modern style and her sewing skills. I mean look at this amazing coat.

Source

And this fabulous Washi dress looks effortlessly stylish.



Chic, modern and stylish are three words that would never ever come up if you were asked to describe me so I was really intrigued to what pattern Friedericke would choose as our styles couldn't have been more opposite if we tried. 

Anyway, a couple of days ago I received my parcel and I couldn't have been more delighted with my present. I was really touched by the thoughtful pattern choice as when we had written to each other about what we liked or disliked I had mentioned that I was frightened of sewing knits. I received a Mabel sewing pattern from Colette Patterns with some stretch needles and a twin needle! How great is that! I have been looking for a twin needle for ages and thought that I might have to order one online.


Look at this bad girl! That skirt is smokin' hot (as they say. Definitely not down with the kids here). The Mabel is a skirt pattern designed for stretch fabrics and comes in sizes from XS to 3XL. 



It also comes in three styles. One of them a bit longer than the other two. I have to say that this is completely out of my comfort zone but in a very good way, I think that that is great and one of the things that makes these swaps so much fun. We can get stuck in a style rut and the Mabel has such great instructions and reviews that I am sure I will be whipping one up in no time. I have even bought fabric, a heavy grey ponte knit with textured black flowers on it. I can't wait to give it a go.

So yet again I have been touched by the kindness of strangers, thanks Friedericke, and just how much the online sewing community is just that, a community. Thanks go to Tanya too for organizing the swap. 
Friedericke, if you are reading this I really hope you liked your parcel!

Finally, if you haven't yet visited the CSC you really should give it a look. It is a great resource for anyone that sews but has a definite focus on us more *ahem* generously proportioned sewers.

So just closing off with some festive best wishes for you all and a classic (non-festive) tune!

K xx

Edited to say that my brother's rugby game got put off due to the weather so they are not going out until January now. Typical after all that rushing!









6 comments:

  1. Lucky you! Enjoy conquering your fears of the stretch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms Nora. The studis are not open again until the 29th which is killing me as I have no room for a machine at home, they are all stowed there. I can't wait to get a start. Hope you had a very nice Christmas. Xx

      Delete
  2. Isn't it great when someone gives you something just right? I bet you will be a whizz at sewing with knit fabric, and you'll look fab in that skirt! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Curtise, it is labelled "beginner" and the pattern has great instructions so I hope it will hold my hand through the process. I'm a bit apprehenisve about wearing something short. I don't know why, in my (slim) rock chick youth all I ever wore were what could be only described as "fanny pelmets". God, that phrase still makes me laugh! Xx

      Delete
  3. Expect to see you modelling the finished skirt!
    Even though I don't sew any more - and am in fact looking for a good home to give my sewing machine away to - I so enjoy reading about your sewings. Which isn't a word the computer tells me but hey... I have the power to use whatever word I like, so there.
    All the best for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the best to you too, Edwina. I hope that 2015 brings joy to you and yours. Will try to make the skirt ASAP. Xx

      Delete