Sunday, 12 October 2014

Heart of Glass

Hello! Well things have been stupidly busy here at MOR. We went for a big drive yesterday and ended up going to the beach as it was Sprogzilla's Dad's 50th birthday so he got to choose.  Of course I took this as a good opportunity to nag them into taking a pic of my newly knitted scarf. 

Thought that this lipstick was a bit bright but I like it. MAC's Ruby Woo.

The day did not start too well as we had a bit of a crazy rain storm when we had been out of the house about 10 mins.

Only Happy When It Rains?

 However, later on the weather was lovely, real t-shirt weather so the scarf was a bit inappropriate, and hence the sunglasses. Otherwise, all the other shots had me screwing my face up against the glare from the sun and the sea. We had a lovely walk along the sands at Seaham on a hunt for some of their famous sea glass.
Vintage Sea Glass

Seaham had a glassworks there from the 1800's to the 1920's and story goes that at works closing each day the "end of days" glass would just be turfed into the sea. It gets washed up and can be found in a whole kaleidoscope of colours, but mostly green and white. The most prized pieces are the multicoloured ones. We found a cobalt blue with deeper stripes and a black and clear glass combo. Most of the bits are very small but we are going to use them to make something  for the house which I will share when I have enough bits. We found 2 pockets full yesterday in about 2 hours and a good couple of mile walk.

Apart from that I have not done any sewing as with things from work being as they are I have had no time although I have bought some new wool. At least I can knit while I am commuting.

Sirdar Divine. It has Lurex sparkles in it!

It is from Sirdar and the colurs remind me of Monet's Garden. I bought the fabric underneath too as a remnant . It is a cotton batik and a couple of metres long x 112cm.



You can see the colours a bit better in the shot above. 

One of Monet's Waterlilies series.

Definitely a touch of "waterlilies" in this palette.
We ended the day with the obligatory fish and chips and an ice cream. Seems a bit wrong to go to the seaside and not indulge. We went to South Shields for these and they were very good. The light there was fantastic and we had another long stroll along the shore. 

Lovely Light


Boy are my knees feeling it today though. Joys of age!
Well I had better dash as I am off down the Studio for a meeting. No time to breath this week.
Have a great time!
K xx






12 comments:

  1. Well...assuming that is you in the first photo, and you class yourself as 'middle-aged' in your profile... all I can say is, you're wearing well!! Aren't you glamorous? And beautiful too. If I might be so bold as to say this, seeing as I don't know you from Adam, or maybe Eve would be more appropriate!
    I suppose it depends what 'middle age' really is. But the term conjures up someone older looking than you to my much older mind than yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Edwina. You really are very kind. Bit of a rare day, me with make up on. And I am well past middle age if you stick to the biblical three score years and ten being mid 40's and feeling it. I suppose that being older is not the thing that it used to be with 50 being the new 30. Wouldn't like to be young to be honest. The World is a bit too depressing at the moment. xx

      Delete
    2. As I'm 50 in less than 2 years I TOTALLY subscribe to 50 being the new 30. Although I wish I had my 30 year old joints! ;-)
      You really should wear that lippy all.of.the.time. It's fabulous on you and you look very chic and glam in it.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Evie, I wish my joints were 30 too. Even my hands are sore these days. Well as they say back home "auld age disnae come itsel'" :) xx

      Delete
  2. Great photo of you, and lovely pics of the beach too. I love to find sea glass as well, the kids and I are heading up to the north east in half term ourselves so we'll have to keep a look out for some! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curtise, that is fantastic. The North East is a fantastic place for a break. All the sand, sea air and the Charity Shops! You shoud go to Seaham then. There was probably a lot more than I managed to pick up as I didn't have my glasses on. You never know, you will probably find me and Sprogzilla with our bucket and spade there too. Hope that you all have a magic time. Xxxx

      Delete
  3. Wow, such beautiful pictures. BTW,have you done something with your hair. I LOVE the color!!! And that lipstick is not too bright for you.Looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhonda, thank you. Yes, i have had my hair chopped off. About 8 inches off the bottom at the longest place and I have tried to strip out the black as the upkeep was too much. Honestly, the contrast with my grey roots was blinding in a certain light. I am a natural redhead so though that it might be the path of least resistance. :) xx

      Delete
  4. Lots of gorgeous photos in this post (you look beautiful). Collecting sea glass at Seaham is a hobby of ours too, red is my favourite, but I never know what to do with it so I'm looking forward to seeing your projects x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Josie. It is only the second tme we have been but we never need an excuse for a day at the beach. You re very lucky finding red bits, I am told that they are the rarest. It is great fun though. We will need loads for what I have In mind so it might take another couple of trips. Xx

      Delete
  5. Wow! That scarf is divine and you definitely rock those shades! What beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely comment Tanya. We are so lucky to have a very photogenic coastline nearby. Xx

      Delete