Sunday, 17 August 2014

Crimplene, Vintage Cushion and a "Fairytale" Corset

Well hello! I have been away on holiday at my Mum's in Edinburgh. She had to go into hospital again and, to cut a long story short, a 2-day stay turned into 2 weeks. She got home late on Thursday night and I came home late Friday as it is back to work for me tomorrow. Boo! She is doing okay now though, thank [insert deity of choice].

Inside the old Royal Bank of Scotland Head Office in Edinburgh has the most amazing plaster work.

Had big plans to visit things in the Edinburgh Festival and the Fringe but only had a chance to meet up with the uber-talented Mel from Le Hat Noir who is a long-time collaborator and very lovely friend. She makes the most exciting hats like the ones below. You can see a lot more on her Facebook Page.

I made the dip-dyed corset and neck corset to match which is covered in 5 different colours of red-toned Swarovski crystals and "blood" drops. These were specially commissioned for a gallery show called "Darkly Crafted Fairytales" that we took part in a couple of years ago and were also show on the catwalk with another 11 outfits by us at the Merchant City Festival in Glasgow. The blurry ladies on the right are our mums.

Beautiful lady. Inspired by the Neil Gaiman short story "Snow, Glass, Apples".

Apart from that as I have been away from home sans machine I have not done a lot. I managed to do a bit of charity shopping for vintage tat, my favourite kind, and have picked up some gems (depending on your taste of course). Look at this amazing cushion cover. It has been appliqued with what looks like a bit of (inexpertly) embroidered tablecloth. Bit of a "Marmite" purchase I know, but personally I love it and it was a steal for £2 including the inner.

This is so awful that it is fabulous. I love it white nylon lace and all!

I also picked up some vintage pillowcases in floral cotton, a whole 30p each.

Lovely 70's cotton pillowcases. I bought 5 different kinds but this is the most funky. I will use them for putting delicates inside before I bung them in the washing machine.

Also, a dress length of this amazing crimplene fabric for £2. I have absolutely no idea whatsoever about what the print is supposed to be and, to be honest, I am not sure that the colours are even "me" but who could resist such a weird design.  The photo washes out the colours a bit.

Weird Sci-Fi Crimplene or Hot and Sweaty in Space!

Reminds me of the Thals planet in the first Dr Who Film. Don't know why. I really need to get out more.
Completely nicked from this source!
There was a shop that sold second-hand stuff and crafty things in aid of people with learning disabilities. I bought one of the amazing mobiles made by one of the women there that she does as therapy. They are all made out of up-cycled broken jewellery and driftwood and are so beautiful.

Crappy picture but this looks so lovely when it catches the light. That reminds me I need to wash the hall window. Please ignore the grime, there is a spider out there so it is no-go until it departs!

So anyway apart from that I have done no sewing, what with me not actually being at home. We did go to the beach yesterday and I took loads of photos with my new camera phone. 

Beach at St Mary's

I LOVE it and it saves me lugging around my SLR everywhere which for the dodgy of back like me is a real bonus. We went to both St Mary's Lighthouse at Whitley Bay and down onto the beach at Marsden where the sea caves are. 

Marsden

The beach there is so clean, I don't think that I have ever seen one in the UK so pristine and it has pink seaweed and sea anemones which only live in clean water.

This looks like beaded lace. Lots of corset inspiration!

But anyway enough of the boring stuff. Normal sewing activity will be resumed soon.

Hope you have all had a great couple of weeks.
Later people!
K xx

8 comments:

  1. Charity shopping finds, beautiful hats and corsetry, and stunning beaches are never boring!
    Hope your mum is feeling much better.
    That weird fabric doesn't say sci-fi to me, it reminds me of an impressionist landscape, rather like rocks and greenery and heather (but that could be because I've just visited the Peak District and it's on my mind!) It's fabulous anyway, whatever the design is supposed to be, and you can't go wrong with vintage pillow slips!
    The beach at Marsden looks beautiful.
    Enjoy getting back to your sewing, now you're home! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am dying to do something. Hope to finish my pink skirt this week. How is your sewing going? Have you made anything new? Xxxx

      Delete
  2. You make the most incredible corsets. Just love seeing them. Such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Rhonda. I made this a while ago and all that I see now are the fitting issues. I never had a chance to do a fitting with this though so it could have been much worse. Got a shoot coming up in September so will hopefully have some new pics to show soon. Xxxx

      Delete
  3. What an interesting blog! Enjoyed reading back a few posts. I admire anyone who has a love/love relationship with a sewing machine. Mine is more love/hate, I just don't get on with mechanical sewing at all. I will be back to read more... a promise, not the threat it sounds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Edwina, thanks for your lovely comment and for taking the time to read my blog. I do love sewing with machines, unlike you I have a bit of a problem with handwork. Definitely not my strongest suit. :) xx

      Delete
  4. Great post, as ever ~ I love seeing your weird and wonderful purchases! Hugs to your mum x

    ReplyDelete