Good morning all! I have been up for ages today so though I would post about what I was up to yesterday when I went down to F6 Studios with Sprogzilla. Actually we spent most of the day cleaning up. It was quite a big mess before, everything was in piles and bags and I could not find anything as it was all squished into a corner. We put things on shelves, shifted things about and folded up fabric.
This is almost tidy and I can now find things (although this is just a very small selection of my threads and trims).
Sprogzilla did the hoovering and we listened to lots thrashy rock tunes on You Tube to work along to. Fab.
Some of my dressmaking fabric (and a set of stays) halfway through the big clean. All the posh fabric is in big plastic boxes which are piled so high that they are taller than me!
It was a lovely day. I don't get to spend much quality time with Sprogzilla at the moment and I really cherish it when I can, even if we are just doing mundane stuff. However she got bored, the call of the computer was too much, and went home with her Dad. I snuck in a couple of hours sewing time. Yay!
Back yoke in "Flea Market Fancy" Fabric. I love it. Spot the obvious mistake?
I had previously cut out most of Simplicity 2339 in a pattern size 22 after doing a 2" FBA, lengthening the pattern and doing a broad back adjustment. I still had to cut out the cuffs, the collar and all the interfacing. I am so happy I now have all my interfacing together in a big box and I can find it. Happy face!
I didn't have enough fabric to do any form of pattern matching except on the outer collar where I cut it on a fold to get an equal amount of orange on each side.
Back view. I added in the back darts to give it some shape. Glad I did.
Well this is what I have done so far. I have only made up the body part of this pattern but I can tell that I will definitely make this again already. I don't think that I will use a quilting cotton next time though, no matter how much I love the print, as it is feels far too stiff and heavy for this design. Not putting darts in the front though on this version. my mum-tum needs the camouflage.
Excuse the bad hair and no make up. It's been a long week.
I an also not too keen on the way that the front band is done. I do however love the way that the yoke facing is attached on the inside. The pattern has you roll up the front and back, sew up the yokes with them on the inside and then turn it through so that there are no raw edges. It gives a lovely clean finish inside and looks fab (and I forgot to take a photo of it). I used french seams on the sides.
Anyway I am really looking forward to finishing this shirt next weekend, especially the sleeves to hide my bingo wings. I had bought orange buttons for it but might see it I can find a matching grey. This is a bit of a funny tone to match though as it has a bit of brown in too that doesn't seem to come across in the photos.
Anyway, It feels great to be making stuff again. I hope you are all having a happy, creative time too. I am off on my travels next week so perhaps I'll be back with some pics of far-flung fabric shops next week.
Bye for now. Kxx