Sunday, 23 March 2014

Kind of Blue


We went to the beach yesterday - to Whitley Bay. It was nice, a bit brisk but a good day for a stroll.

Looking towards St Mary's Lighthouse from the beach

 If you haven't been there it is well worth a visit. Loads of cute little independent shops selling all manner of stuff, loads of nice wee cafes and more than a smattering of antique and charity shops. I bought a few wee bits and bobs: a couple of necklaces and a teapot for one with a green-brown glaze and matching sugar dish that are in the shape of snails. I have packed it away with my good vintage china so no pics for now.We ate breakfast - maple syrup and bacon pancakes *mmnnn* - at a nice little cafe near the beach called "Sugarloaf" then walked it off along the shore.

It got quite chilly after a bit so we didn't stay too long. There are some big rocks on the beach that are eroded and look great. I would really love to dye some silk fabric for cushion covers and use the shapes for some Indian-style hand quilting. Mind you the ideas that I have in my head are never really transposed into reality as my handwork is appallingly bad. I can dream though. I love the colours but don't know if they would work for me. Too tasteful.

Look at the beautiful lines and colours.

Sprogzilla loves blue and grey though so maybe she would like them. I have made a quilt top in those shades that is all pinned together with the batting but still not finished. To be honest, it is too heavy as I used a double layer and the machine would not go through it. I thought about hand quilting it, tying it through with ribbon and buttons, but it is still too heavy to sleep under and just wouldn't get used. I have to get a bit of fabric to finish off the back. I made it to fit a remnant of heavy decorating linen that I picked up in John Lewis in Glasgow a while back but then it sort of grew. The colours go really well. Sprogzilla wants it for when we have redecorated her room as she wants it sky blue. The top is made up of fabric rescued from home-dec sample books in silks, velvets, cottons and all manner of things. It's comprised of big 19cm squares and is really tactile. I deliberately joined them off-set as I like the look of random patchwork.

Quilt for Sprogzilla and yes, the studio is that messy.

I made a red one too that Sprogzilla originally wanted but she has gone off the colours so now I can nab it (yipee) as I love it. It is a bit over the top and screams "boudoir" so is just up my street. It will have red and purple snake skin fabric print cotton underneath. Sounds awful but it was some posh designer interiors fabric so is actually quite restrained (for me). It is quite a bit smaller than the blue/sandy one and it is made in a big strip so it can hang over the foot of a bed. I have used all the odd leftovers to made some long strips of patchwork that I can cut up and make Jacob's Ladder style cushions. Just need to find a good colour for the plain rows.

Me, me,me! Mine, mine, mine!

Knitting-wise, I finally sewed the ends into the scarf that I finished during the week. I haven't decided if it is my sort of colours. I might give it to my Mum as she has red hair and suits autumn shades. Since I am bottle black (and grey but we won't go there) I prefer something a bit brighter. It was a bit bright hence the screwed up face.

Oy, Grandma, go buy some hairdye. I am blinded by your roots!

This pattern is addictive. I am knitting another one in the blue/grey Rio wool for Sprogzilla. I am making the pattern up in my head though as I just want ribs of the same size throughout. Well that is the plan, it might get a bit more free-form due to my knitting senior moments where I forget what I am supposed  to be doing (a lot).

Her name was Rio! It was addictive!

Anyway, I bought the new Burda Style magazine this afternoon so I am away for a "swatch" at things I won't fit into and will never sew. Have a lovely week. I will leave you with me doing my "catalogue man" pose.
K xx

Catalogue Mum








6 comments:

  1. Your 'Sample Book' quilts are stunning! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Josie. Thanks for your kind comment. The fabric was so lovely but there was too little of it to make anything other than patchwork. They we just going to go in the bin otherwise and throwing away fabric would be like drowning kittens :( xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your quilts; I'd nab the red one for my boudoir too! Nice to see a pic of you, and I know Whitley Bay quite well, my sister lives in Tynemouth. Love that coast. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, thanks. I love quilting but am just not neat enough to do all the piecework ones. I have lots of books. Boy, did I get the p taken out of me for my "Amish Patchwork" one. Don't know about the pics, just reminds me I need a haircut and to do my roots (I am a stealth fellow-redhead). Tynemouth is absolutely beautiful. I would live to live there. Have you been to the flea/craft market on the station platforms on a Saturday and Sunday? It can be very good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pics Kelly :) absolutely adore the pink quilt, it's stunning! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melanie. It is just made up of loads of old fabric samples. The pic just doesn't do the colours justice though. xxxx

      Delete