Monday, 24 February 2014

It's Not Easy Being Green



It's not easy being green.

What a week! I don't know about yours but mine has been a bit mad. I have been to Germany this week for a few days so haven't had much of a chance to draw breath let alone get busy with the machine. However, I was on my way into the studio this afternoon to pick up some corset fabric for an upcoming project and had a bit of a wander into the charity shops looking for sewing books, as I always do.

"Golden Hands" are happy hands.

I found a few copies of the "Golden Hands" series from Marshall Cavendish. They seem to be some sort of part-work with all sorts of craft tuition in them in bite-sized lessons. 

Mama, but we're all crazee now.

I only got three and they are not in any particular order but they have lots of knitting, crochet and sewing things in so I think that they will come in handy.

Arran, the mark of a man.

I am probably a bit of an oddity in the vintage sewing world as I love the fashions from the 60's and 70's as well as previous eras. I mean who doesn't love a good pair of flares? Probably everyone but me.

I would probably wear most of these. Doesn't say much really.

I know that most of the focus on the current vintage, or vintage -inspired patterns/sewing seems to be from the 30's to the very early 60's at the latest and, as much as I love it, I am always a bit scared that sewing things from this era will look too costumey, like I am auditioning for Mamma Mia.

Quick, make a run for it before they crochet one for you too!

What do you think? Yay or nay? Could that be the case with some vintage sewing? Can you ever take vintage style too far?
 
I will leave you to ponder with a few pictures from the books.
K xx

Yeh, you think that this looks funny. It's dark in half an hour.




These actually look quite nice. Very Mui Mui.

Whereas these on the other hand were probably the inspiration for the "Chucky" film series.

 

4 comments:

  1. Sacha dolls! Haven't seen one of those in years.
    I am more into the 1960s and 70s styles too, I love all the outfits in the illustration you showed. I'd wear them all too!
    Arran Man is rather flinty and chiselled, isn't he? xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, he is. Could be Vigo Mortensson's dishy grandad. Is that what the dolls are? They give me the willies. I really love the styles from then and ou carry them off with great aplomb. I am however on the wrong side of a size 16 so feel I might end up being a bit more "Muriel" than "Agnetha". Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the coat dress in the first picture, it's gorgeous. Give Arran man a quick haircut and he'd be pretty cute too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Josie, i love that dress too. It looks a bit early 60's and is very wearable. ;)

      Delete