Tuesday, 8 February 2011

Dark Fairy Tales - Inspiration Where You Find It?

OK. This is just going to be a short post . I have been asked to contribute to an art show in The Virginia Galleries here in Glasgow. They are hosting a show of textile work based around the theme of "Dark Fairy Tales" which I am really honoured to be a part of. I am collaborating with Mel from Le Hat Noir again and we will be showing 2 outfits based loosely on Snow White and Red Riding Hood. However, there is not even going to be a whiff of Disney anywhere near us. They are going to be dark, darker, darkest! :)

This got me thinking about sources for inspiration. It is easy enough to clone garments from the big designers, or to use a pattern and add some trims if that is your thing, but for truly unique pieces where do you draw you inspiration from? Other designers, fashion mags, historical source books, music, art, literature, etc.?

Mel and I work well as we bounce ideas off each other and this is really useful to get them to take shape and turn into something concrete. One of the things that she mentioned was the Neil Gaiman short story "Snow, Glass, Apples". If you don't know it you can read it here (don't go there if you will be disturbed by "adult" themes though). I love this, it is such a modern twist on the Grimm tale, without the banality of the usual 20th century versions, and just as dark as the original.

For Red Riding Hood, I have drawn more on Angela Carter's "The Company of Wolves". I loved this film when it came out and to be honest I haven't seen it since, but liked her use of metaphor. Get the DVD if you haven't seen it. So our Little Red will be much less innocent than usual.

I am going to use some of the historical patterns in "Corsets & Crinolines" by Norah Waugh again for my basic patterns. A 17th C stay for Red and Snow will get something late 1800's. which I will probably add cups to to. I am kind of sketching, mostly in my head though (I don't put pen to paper nearly enough) and will start to sew it this weekend, hopefully.

Looking forward to putting up some pics when I have stuff started!!

K xx

No comments:

Post a Comment