Plus-Sized Sewing Scientist with a Love of Corsets, Kittens & Cake! Vintage Seamstress, Novice Knitter and All-Round Crafty Type.
Sunday, 20 June 2010
This is a dress that I ran up for my DD. I don't know what has been wrong with me lately but I seem to have lost my sewing mojo and it seems like I have been sewing this forever. Probably something to do with all the recent late nights at work so I have been way less than motivated to sew when I come home. I have had this dress and the Burda 113 sitting on my sewing table for weeks with only a few small things to do to them. So, this weekend I was determined to get them finished, especially as I have a lot of corset sewing to do in the next couple of weeks (more on that later).
The dress itself is a mash-up of Burda 113, from the 02/2009 magazine, and some strips of fabric I had lying around (for 6 years!). I bought this stuff to make little dresses when DD was much smaller and only had 1 metre of the pink with flowers, 0.75m of the butterfly fabric as it was a remnant, and pieces of the main orange fabric. All the fabrics are nice batik cottons from John Lewis, as is the orange cotton bias tape around the hem.
Initially I had cut the fabric into strips to make a long, layered "gypsy"-style skirt but felt that it would make a nice dress with a bodice added. I chose the Burda113-02/2009 as I had run this dress up for a friend and liked the pattern. The empire line bodice was just what I was looking for. Due to the lack of orange fabric I had to cut the back pattern piece into 2 to get it to fit on the fabric that was left. The shoulder part just fitted with no seam allowance. Luckily however, I was able to place it just slighly off-grain to fit where the straight part of the back piece started. This allowed me to cut this piece with no seam allowance and to add 3cm to the other back piece without distorting the shape. I used yellow cotton batiste for the inner facings as I wanted to keep it cool and summery.Size-wise my DD is very tall, she stands 5' 3" at 9yrs and is broad like me. Based on her measurements she is nearest to a Burda sz40 but I cut a 42 to give me some extra room to play with. It was a tiny bit roomy in the back so I added to straps but she can "grow into it" *haha* and it fits very nicely when these are tied. If I make this again I might shorten the shoulders by 1/2cm or so as it is quite low, but not obscenely so, and it perfect for all the hot weather that we have been having. Now just to get on and finish the 113!