Thursday, 20 May 2010

Burda Style Magazine: Style 114/May 2010 The beginning!

This month's issue of Burda Style magazine (the former BWOF) was pretty good pattern-wise and featured a lot of nice summer dresses. I love Burda and have been collecting it religiously for years, although to be fair IMHO the patterns have got a LOT better in their styling in the last year or so.  To break me in gently to sewing something that wasn't a corset I have decided to use up some of my fabric stash making dresses for my DD. I have some nice light weight contrasting cotton prints and some cotton batik that I had bought a couple of years ago but never had the time to do anything with. They were mostly in 1m pieces. I decided to sew up Style 114 which calls for a couple of metres of cotton batiste.

This dress is very simple. Just 4 rectangles, 2 larger than the previous, sewn onto a bodice section with a racer back. The top section is supposed to be self-lined but for the light butterfly fabric I used a white cotton batiste from John Lewis to stop the butterflies on the reverse shining through to the right side. I have decided to use bias binding on the arm holes to add a splash of colour. It just needs a zip now and hemmed and it will be done. I am not sure what I think about this dress. It is pretty simple and is nice and summery but something about the styling leaves me a bit cold. I will post pics when it is finished this week and see if I have changed my mind by then. I am not too happy about the sequence of the fabric and think that I should have put the darker middle tier on the bottom. Still it is just a scruffing about dress but maybe this is what is putting me off *hhmmn*.

Have you made this dress? What do you think? Better in different fabric? Why not let me know?

No comments:

Post a Comment