Wednesday, 21 April 2010

Where There's Muck There's Brass

Well this is my first proper post, a little late but what is a couple of *ahem* weeks between friends? Life has been pretty hectic recently. Joy of joys, I have completed "Step One" of the MOR process by starting a new job. This is not only really something and somewhere that I want to be but is closer to home so that I have more time to devote to the things I love, namely sewing vintage & gardening. At first you might think that these pastimes are not even kissing cousins, but as I hope that you will see unfold, they are born out of my desire to recycle, repurpose and reuse things in my life and to make do with the resources around me instead of buying into the "throw away" mentality that is is the norm today. So, maybe even if they not are a teeny bit consanguinous they might possibly have shared a drunken snog at some random party.

Talking of reproduction, (yep, one paragraph and already she lowers the tone) I have been spending a bit (read "lot") of time recently salivating over the titillating pictures in the online seed catalogues and ordering some varieties that I haven't tried before. I have got a whole load of different veg varieties from Nicky's Nursery and from the local supermarkets who seem to have really caught on to the whole "grow your own" thing really well. After all, where there's muck there's brass right?

In the garden there are quite a lot of things growing, especially the weeds which are growing like themselves. Surprisingly, even though it has not had much in the way of human disturbance in the last 18 months, there are some very nice looking clumps of perennials popping up from between the couch grass. No too much in the way of colour yet though. I think that in Scotland we are usually a few weeks behind places further south and anything that was brave enough to pop its head above ground has been mercilessly savaged by our rabbit, Rabbit Pie. She may be cute but she is an eating machine that views any plant in the garden as a free lunch. Still she is cheaper, and greener, than a lawn mower and much nicer to look at don't you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment